350B fuel filter conversion

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Farmertuc
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B fuel filter conversion

Post by Farmertuc » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:38 am

I just picked up an early model 350b diesel inside dozer that has the duplex fuel filters (glass bottom bowls). I know later 350b’s came with the snap on single stage filters; does anyone know if you can convert to the single stage?
Obviously I would have to buy the new filter housing and fuel lines but wondering if it will bolt into the same mounting holes and be somewhat ‘plug and play’.
I’m having a heck of a time getting the current filters to stop leaking even with new o-rings etc
Thanks in advance

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B fuel filter conversion

Post by Jim B » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:55 am

Welcome to the Boards.

The aluminum base of the rectangular "glass" filter is bolted to a metal bracket which bolts to the head, it is not a direct to head mount. I think everything will bolt up, worst case you might need to make a different bracket. As far as lines they should work. I think they may be available however I don't know for certain they are still available to purchase from JD, or if you would need to find used. You might have to use different adapter fittings in the pumps and filter base but you can always make your own lines from some brake tubing, oil service poly tubing, or have hoses made.

The newest type of JD filter, on some engines of about the same size, is a spin-on which may bolt up. There are aftermarket spin-on kits as well. Just some options.

Do your current filters have bad center bolts, damaged bowls, or bases? I have several machines with those type filters and don't have problems with them leaking.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:41 am

Also on your current filter system make sure you have removed the old o-rings from the top portion of the assembly. I have found several with leaks that ended up being where folks had stacked two o-rings without knowing they had. These o-rings are hard to see and it is easy to stack two of them together. Thus causing a leak you can't seem to stop.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Farmertuc
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Farmertuc » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:07 am

Thank you for the info; I tried a set of aftermarket bowls and they were 1/4” too shallow so wouldn’t allow a tight seal before running out of threads. I went back to the original bowls and new filters but am having a darn time getting them to seal, I will take them back off and look for a stacked O ring. I have a 450c with the newer clip on filter and it’s a much easier style to deal with for sure.
For the price of converting (and possible hassle) it’s probably better to fiddle with these for a few hours.
On another note; I went to change the hydraulic filter in the reservoir tank and the entire assembly was missing. I took out and cleaned the strainer in the bottom but the element, bolt and plates on the pump return side were gone. Any idea why they would have removed this? I found a used one off a 350c I’m going to install.
Another issue is the right hand power steering assist isn’t functioning (ordered a seal kit, hopefully it’s that and not the clutch) but one thing at a time!
Thanks again for the replies I’ll keep you posted