450B loose track pin

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rcfra
40C crawler
40C crawler

450B loose track pin

Post by rcfra » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:24 am

I've got an issue with one of my track pins that has backed out a bit and so it's only engaged in two of the three holes that connect two links together. Thinking I could just drive it back in and tack weld a side to keep it from moving again, but I have spent hours trying to get the holes aligned with no success. I've tried taking all pressure off the tensioner, using ratchet straps to pull up the slack weight, welding some bolts to the track pads and using a turnbuckle to pull them together, and even welding a rock bar to the grouser to try to torque the link into alignment, but no matter what the pin is not aligned with the inner hole (nearest the machine), and is pointing forward by 1/16-1/8". I'm suspecting the link actually bent a little. Is it possible to just replace a couple links in the track rather than the whole thing? If so, any ideas on a source? I've found a couple places online that sell an entire track chain, but that seems excessive.

Any other ideas?

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: 450B loose track pin

Post by Al Swearengen » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:55 am

rcfra wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:24 am
and is pointing forward by 1/16-1/8". I'm suspecting the link actually bent a little.
Any other ideas?
Can you perhaps grind down the edge of the pin a bit to at least get it started into the hole, then try smacking the hell out of it?
'99 450G 6-Way

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450B loose track pin

Post by Jim B » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:59 am

Driving one link back in is one thing, changing a couple links is another. If you are considering changing a couple links, you should check around for a shop with a portable "C" press set up for track pin work in the field. A dealer may be able to get individual links that will match yours, no guarantee on that.

Do you have the pads off the links at the point you are trying to get the pin back in? If not, remove a couple pads each side of the pin in question, it may allow more freedom for the links to move. Have you had the pin fully out? If so, grind a bit more taper on the end as Al suggested. Have you rigged up something to back the link up where you are driving the pin in? If not, the link can "swing away", losing the force that should move the pin when you strike the pin.