350B Stalled but Fixed

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Kaiverol
430 crawler
430 crawler

350B Stalled but Fixed

Post by Kaiverol » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:05 am

I have had issues over the years with my 350 stalling and not knowing why. Recently I replaced the water pump and repaired the rad. During that time I drained the fuel tank and inspected fuel lines and filters etc. After the repairs and getting it running I had typical stalling issues. I removed the check valve on the injection pump and got the 350 running again.

This week I was working with it for a good while and the engine started hesitating, so I suspected low fuel and shut it down. I added 50 ish litres of fuel and started it up. The engine died quickly so I thought I would need to bleed the system. I started with bleeding the filters via the lever on the fuel pump. Here is where I learned something which is probably obvious to most.

The fuel pump lever was very hard to push and I could not get fuel out of the bleed screw. I got my wrenches and undid the fuel line at the tank. No fuel came out. I stuck a wire in the tank side and broke free the clog. Went back to the pump and now was able to bleed the filters easily. Started the engine and away I went. No further bleeding (injectors) required.

At the end of the day, I wonder if I should ( need) to put the check valve back in? I had always blamed it first and foremost. I have run the 350 for hours without it.

I also don’t think I can (or know how) to clean my fuel tank.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B Stalled but Fixed

Post by LeonardL » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:51 pm

The check valve is there for a reason. Usually if it has clogged and has caused an engine issue it is because the governor ring inside the injector pump has failed or is failing. If you have your filter or filters in place then there should be no reason for dirt to collect at the check valve. The injector pump has a screen on it also that would prevent this from happening.

My advice would be to remove your fuel tank and clean it thoroughly and clean your fuel lines all the way to your filter and check and or clean the tanks vent. Also check and clean the return line leading back to the tank. At the same time I would consider having your injector pump rebuilt and you should be good to go.

Removing the check valve is only cheating a real and existing problem. At some point it will stop and won't go until you fix it properly.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Kaiverol
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: 350B Stalled but Fixed

Post by Kaiverol » Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:04 am

Thanks Leonard

I guess I figured if it runs, the injector pump is ok. I will need to do the full job.