450 Dozer - Loud noise when in Reverse

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
MyJD450
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 Dozer - Loud noise when in Reverse

Post by MyJD450 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:34 pm

Hello all!
I'm hoping for direction and maintenance wisdom. I have a straight 450 dozer that has a very loud noise when I let off clutch while in reverse. This noise is loud even when just above low idle. When I very slowly let out clutch and feel the transmission just beginning to pull the dozer, the noise happens. It first began when in reverse while turning dozer. It kicked out of gear a couple times. I adjusted linkage, but noise still there. A couple times dozer moved a foot or two before the noise starts. After linkage adjustment, it got stuck in reverse, had to move gear shift lever between gears to free-up. Multiple linkage adjustments have same result. Prior to noise I rebuilt engine and put about 2 hours on for break-in procedure; dozer seemed to run fine. I backed into dirt mound and winch hit into dirt and stopped reverse progress; soon after the noise began. I don't think that has any correlation but thought I should throw that out there. Only feel the vibration in the reverser lever when the noise happens, NOT in the gear shift lever. Noise happens in all 4 gears. To me, it doesn't sound like gears are grinding. Any help is appreciated!

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450 Dozer - Loud noise when in Reverse

Post by LeonardL » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:07 am

Wow dude... Sounds deep to me. I would pull the cover off of the top of the transmission and take a look at what things are like in there. Could be a bearing has come undone or broken teeth on a gear or something. Adjustments on the outside won't help I'm afraid.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

MyJD450
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 450 Dozer - Loud noise when in Reverse

Post by MyJD450 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:21 pm

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the slow response. Took it to a repair shop 4 weeks ago and still waiting on diagnosis but they said I should consider a used transmission if it is torn up enough. Also that I should consider the HLR transmission with hydraulic reverser. Is that a difficult conversion?