identify my 350 injection pump

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
cwheat
40C crawler
40C crawler

identify my 350 injection pump

Post by cwheat » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:27 pm

Hello all,
I have a straight 350 serial no. 113014T that has started having problems with the injector pump. It just quit all at once and will not get fuel to the injectors. It is not a stanadyne pump or if it is it does not look like the ones with the removable top and it is considerably smaller. It does not even have the window to look at the timing marks. Wondering if anyone has had such a pump and how to fix my issue. I have pics but can't figure out how to attach them.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: identify my 350 injection pump

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:33 pm

Part number should be on the pump.
None of them come with the window, it is only installed for timing, then removed.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

cwheat
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by cwheat » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:34 pm

i can see two rivits on the top of the housing and I believe the tag with info on it is gone leaving only the drive in rivits.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:01 am

To post pictures you need to use a third-party hosting site, like Imgur or Postimages. Your picture needs to be uploaded to the hosting site, then its url needs to be pasted between the brackets of the two img that appear in the text box when you click on the picture icon above the text box.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:10 am

It would be my guess that you have either a CDC or a CBC pump. The very early Straight 350s had this pump instead of the later JDB and DB pumps. You should be able to take your machine serial number to Deere and they can find out what pump was installed at the factory.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

cwheat
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by cwheat » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:51 pm

I have read and reread several articles and postings about these pumps and have indeed determined it is a series c roosamaster. jdemaris answered my questions in several of those posts in that it is a discontinued pump and not many parts are available. In one of the articles he tells how to remove the plunger from behind the solenoid that cuts the fuel to see if the high pressure end is still working(a temporary fix much like removing the check valve ball on the db pumps to make it run when the plastic disc is failing) so that is what I plan to do as soon as it quits raining here in Mississippi. I have also found an upgrade kit for those pumps that includes the solenoid, plunger, spring, and seal to fix it for 140.00 if that tuns out to be the problem. the kit is for a 300 industrial tractor but the model numbers for the pumps are the same for the 300 tractor and 350 crawler so it should fit. The pictures looks exactly the same. Spencer Diesel Injection & Turbo Inc. in Spencer, IA. is where I located the solenoid upgrade kit if anyone is interested. My machine was running good when all at once it just shut down and is not getting fuel past the injector pump. I can not hear a click or noise like the solenoid opening or closing when I jump 12 volts from the battery to the connector so I am reasonably sure the solenoid is not working. If the new solenoid will fix my problem that is way better than the series db pump kit that JD sells which jdemaris says cost 1600.00 about 10 years ago. I have not checked but JD may have quit even selling that. I will update when I have more information.
Thanks,
Cwheat

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:31 am

Hey... Check with these folks if you haven't already. (http://www.mylexinternational.com/injec ... .htm#trade) They're located there in Mississippi and may be able to help you out. I know a couple of guys who have used them for your type of pump in the past and they may be able to help you out.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

cwheat
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by cwheat » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:58 pm

Update: I removed the piston and spring from behind the solenoid and the engine cranked right up like it should. jdemaris knew what he was talking about. He was spot on with the instructions in that article I read. I found the replacement solenoid kit that fits the series c pump at Delco Diesel Services in Oklahoma City, OK for 75.00(almost half of the first one I located) and have confirmed with them that it will in fact replace the OE one in the pump so I will be ordering one Monday morning. Machine is running like new as far as the injection pump is concerned, just have to kill it by putting it in gear and stall the engine.

cwheat
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by cwheat » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:30 am

another update-I installed the solenoid kit and the engine cranked up like a new one, so the solenoid was the culprit. Now If I can figure out how to replace a leaking oring on the rack and pinion shaft it will be in good condition.