drive shaft in steering clutch and brake assembly 450ca

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Bobby H.
420 crawler
420 crawler

drive shaft in steering clutch and brake assembly 450ca

Post by Bobby H. » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:15 pm

I had to pull the left final drive off to drill and replace two broken bolts. When I pulled the pinion gear out the inner drive shaft came out also, not completely but most of the way out. I was able to get back in most of the way but not all the way in. Looking at the parts and service manual it shows there is a special washer, snap ring and a pilot bearing . Does the snap ring keep the drive shaft in place so it does not pull out like mine did or does it hold something else in place. I have a bad feeling that it is suppose to hold the shaft in and it is either missing or some one left it out before. Has any one else had this happen or am I just Blessed with more work to do? I started this back in April and just got the final drive housing off this past Sat.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: drive shaft in steering clutch and brake assembly 450ca

Post by LeonardL » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:07 am

I don't think what you're looking at has anything to do with that inner shaft. That shaft is actually the drive axle that fits back inside the steering clutch. I think you should be able to turn it to align the splines and it should slip back in place. It has been forever and three days since I was last inside one of these. But I think it should go back in. Worse case scenario would be you will have to pull the clover off of the steering clutch to get it back in place.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Bobby H.
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Bobby H. » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:56 am

The inner drive shaft still needs to go back in another 1.5-2.0 inches to get in far enough to tighten set screw of steering clutch housing to pinion gear. can't seem to push axle shaft in any more or rotate to mesh into any splines. Has anyone run into this before. Any help greatly appreciated.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:14 am

If the inner shaft (mates into the differential gear) pulled out, I think Leonard is right in that you may need to pull the cover off the steering clutch housing so you can access the clutch and brake. They may need to be lifted or otherwise moved to free that shaft to line up with the differential gear splines and slide in. I don't see a snap ring on the inner shaft to hold it. I see one that holds the hose ring on the back of the clutch piston assembly and the one on the disc pack hub.

Bobby H.
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Bobby H. » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:37 am

Feels like the drive shaft has gone all the way back in but I will have to pull the hub for the steering clutches out to get the set screw to set in the pinion gear correctly. Just looks like about 1/2 inch maybe to get in place. So far I am getting ALL my credits at Hard Knock U, and come out a Honor student :lol: