450c hlr checks

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Bobby H.
420 crawler
420 crawler

450c hlr checks

Post by Bobby H. » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:23 pm

I have a 450ca. High range slips. went though the clutch adjustments. high range pressure is very low 55-60 psi. low range is good and reverse is a little lower than low range pressure but moves strong. The pressure readings for high being that low, problem looks to be in the clutch pack. With all that being said if I pull the top cover off the trans can the clutch packs be air checked before having to do a tear down?? This is not a job I will tackle right now as I can use low range for now. Just getting as much info before I have to go into it.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450c hlr checks

Post by LeonardL » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:16 am

Yes you can air check the clutch pack. Air will also reveal any other pressure leaks you may have. I don't remember exactly how we did it as far as where to connect an air source. That has been no less than a hundred years ago!! :D I would say given what you have found that a rebuild is in your future. Not an easy task on a 450. Not that any of them are easy. Good luck and let us know what you find.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Bobby H.
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Bobby H. » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. I figured there had to be a way. It's nothing other than an automatic transmission using bigger nuts and bolts. I've been in the automotive field for fifty years and play with bigger toys when I can or need to. Thanks again. Will let you know when I get into that project.

Oldskewl53
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Oldskewl53 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:35 pm

Sorry for jumping in on your post but you seem to have the same symptoms as my 450E long track it will not go into high range and while checking the pressure I find low range very low reverse and low range show the same and within range of the book however while testing when shifted into high range I notice the oil is bubbling up through the inspection whole where the gauge port is wondering if anyone can shine some light on this problem or has seen it happen before before I start tearing it apart high range for me is almost never used for what I do here on the farm and low and reverse work perfectly fine

Bobby H.
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Bobby H. » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:27 am

I haven't noticed any bubbling like you are talking about with mine. I will be taking it out to the ranch with in the next month and I left the pressure gouge in it to watch the pressures. Hopefully I can determine the problem at that point.