QUESTIONS!! 450 c wer steer cluth replacement.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Miller Time
MC crawler
MC crawler

QUESTIONS!! 450 c wer steer cluth replacement.

Post by Miller Time » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:08 am

Replaced wet steer clutch, now won't slip , old plates had factory grooves, new plates are smooth, no grooves. Are they the wrong plates?? 1976 450 c, wet steer clutch.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: QUESTIONS!! 450 c wer steer cluth replacement.

Post by LeonardL » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:50 am

Not sure I fully understand your post. If what you are saying is that the clutch won't release then yes you have the wrong discs. The grooves are what help a wet clutch release or separate when the pressure that applies them has been turned off. Solid plates will eventually separate but not like they should. They will stay stuck together.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Miller Time
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Miller Time » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:08 pm

Yes, that's what I'm saying, the clutch won't slip when pressure released. Did a bench test with both stacks of plates and disc's, the old grooved ones would slip when spun by hand, the new smooth clutch spun the whole stack. So I'm guessing the jd dealer gave me the wrong parts. I put it all back together today with old clutch, and somehow one of the break band ears slipped off and won't engage. So back apart again tomorrow, 3 times in a week.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:10 am

Wow dude... sorry you're struggling with this repair. Repairs like this will test a persons patience for sure. Also sorry that Deere got it wrong on the parts. It sucks but unfortunately people do make mistakes. Still,,, I would let them know how frustrated I am. Hang in there and try to be patient. It will come together in the end.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Miller Time
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Miller Time » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:42 pm

Thank you.
FINALLY, got the actual brake together right, after dropping a washer in the oil, magnet came off end off pick up tool. Had to RE DRAIN the clutch oil. Took an hour to get magnet tip out, stuck under clutch hub of course. Assembled and reassembled thr brake 8 times before it went together right.
Putting it back together now. Will test and adjust later today. What an absolute pain this was. Most people NEVER take one apart, I did 3 times in one week!!! Lol.

Miller Time
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: QUESTIONS!! PLEASE HELP!!!450 c wer steer cluth replacement.

Post by Miller Time » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:32 am

Anyone with a suggestion PLEASE !!!.
Put all back together, and the clutch still won't slip when trying to turn. Fresh oil, put the old plates back in, they are still good. Handle dumps pressure, brake is trying to grab, but won't stop the track. 4th time into this. What am I missing????

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:33 am

I don't remember much about the 450s system. I would say you have a valving issue or a restriction somewhere causing the clutch pack to stay engaged instead of releasing the pressure that has it engaged. Check linkage to the steering valve and anything that should be effecting the clutch on that side. I know this isn't much help but it's where I would be looking.

Miller Time
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Miller Time » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:00 am

Thank you. All that was good, went over it 5 times, checked and rechecked.
The problem was the inner hub and plates, it doesn't specify a plate on the inside of inner hub, UNDER the snap ring that on the hub... I just stacked the plates on the inner hub and it was causing them to be to tight. 4th time is a charm!! It's all good , turning, stopping, everything perfect.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:07 pm

Hey that's great!! As the old saying goes... "A blind hog will find an acorn eventually." :D Anyway I'm glad you got it sorted. I wondered about your plates but assumed you had them right. Always a great feeling when you get it to work.