350 Transmission Removal

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ddr
MC crawler
MC crawler

350 Transmission Removal

Post by ddr » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:56 am

Thank you for building this message board and letting me in. I hope to add some knowledge thru my stumbling repairs. I have a 1965, 350 crawler, loader, backhoe. I bought it for property maintenance and the fella said the diesel engine had been rebuilt by JD.

3rd gear went click, click boom. After that 1st , 2nd and 4th work. But noticed what seems like the track jumping the sprockets when turning with a loaded bucket or backing up a steep hill. I had already installed new sprockets, chain and pads and new rollers. Along with right side steering clutch and brake band. So figure the missing 3rd gear and maybe a bad bearing could be jumping teeth on the mating gear?
Currently working on pulling transmission out. The seat, fuel tank side box unit is off and working on the loader bolts the last two days. Then looking at the transmission I see bottom of the transmission casting is indented to go around the rear cross member tube. It seems I wouldn’t be able to slide the transmission out the back unless the cross member tube can drop down or can I pull one bolt out of each side of the reverser to get the transmission up enough to clear the cross member tube? Hopefully if that is possible there is enough room for the fan not to hit the radiator.

I sometime get wordy but main question(s) Do I need to take the loader off? Second how to be able to slide transmission out or clear it up over the cross member.
Thank you

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 350 Transmission Removal

Post by original possum » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:48 am

I did that years ago so the memory is a bit fuzzy. I think I raised the side frames along with the transmission, then pulled it out. Had broken out the bottom, front bearing and the owner kept using it and shelled out the whole tranny and pinion. Found a whole, used unit to replace it all.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

ddr
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ddr » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:57 am

Thank you for the info. I will work to doing as you suggested. Looks like I can leave the loader attached. Will post my progress down the road as this is a "when I get time" I can work on it.

ddr
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ddr » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:32 am

Thank you again. Your memory was correct. I was able to leave the steering clutch housings on the transmission as well. Also left the loader on. I do see broken frame bolts on the main cross member which means I will pull loader off to get to them later.

Before pulling transmission I also blocked up the front of the frame too. After pulling off the cover I see that 3rd gears are there but extremely rounded. It seems when I lost 3rd gear the taper roller bearing has no rollers left in it. Allowing the gears no to mesh. And my big clunk that I thought the track was jumping the sprocket was the 1st and 4th gear jumping over the mating gear due to the amount of play with the missing bearing.
Now off to see if I can find the third gears and maybe the 1st & 4th gear.
I have been taking picture as I go and will attempt to add a couple here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vtMKYoKEHmcrhnUi8