450 C Not Starting but runs on ether when sprayed

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
NIKinNZ
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 C Not Starting but runs on ether when sprayed

Post by NIKinNZ » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:34 pm

Hello all, my 1975 450C was running fine, for some reason just before i parked it up i revved it up a bit before switching it off (dont ask me why) then went back to it an hour later and it wouldnt start, turns over fine, just not firing up. If i spray some ether into the air filter it will fire up but will ony run on the ether then shuts down again? i have plenty of fuel, i did take off one of the injector lines and primed the pump (at the little primer lever) and fuel is spitting out a little bit (a little bit), im not sure how much should be coming out. But im at my wits end with this one, any ideas? I have cleaned the filters etc. Daft question but are there glow plugs on these? or could it be an electrical issue? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Nik from New Zealand.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450 C Not Starting but runs on ether when sprayed

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:36 pm

No glow plugs.

How much fuel in the tank? Stranger things than running out of fuel have happened.

You might have an electrical issue. It should have an electric shut off solenoid inside the Injection pump. You may hear a click when the switch is turned on, when the solenoid engages. Check to see if you have full voltage to the terminal the wire from the switch hooks to on the injection pump cover, when the key is on, to energize the shut off solenoid. Also look closely at the cover there should be a second terminal with a small ground strap hooked to it. Make sure it has not broken, it is the ground for the shut off solenoid. I have had that happen, and it will prevent the shut off solenoid from working. If no power on the wire from the switch work back to the switch to find the problem.

You should not get fuel spitting out an injector line at the pump or up at the injector when you pump the lever on the transfer pump. Fuel comes out those lines when the fuel solenoid is in the run position and the engine is turning, as the injection pump is what supplies the injectors with fuel.

I am thinking you used the wrong name for the line you unhooked. The 4 injector lines are the ones held to the injection pump with banjo bolts and they have nuts on the tubes up at the injector connection. They are high pressure lines made of thick steel. The transfer pump has a fuel line from the tank coming to it and a fuel line out of it to the fuel filter. There is a fuel line from the filter to supply the injection pump. Besides the fuel supply line and the 4 Injector line there is an excess fuel line that runs up and connects to the return line at the very top of the 4 injectors. That return line recycles excess fuel from the system back to the fuel tank.

Do you have any manuals?

NIKinNZ
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by NIKinNZ » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:10 pm

Thanks Jim,

Sorry, thinking about it when i undid the injector (the thick fuel pipe that goes to the injectors) i think i must have been turning the engine by putting the key/starter on rather than pulling the primer lever.

I get a feeling it could be an electrical problem and i will look at the solenoid as a potential that is on the injector pump, i think i have a pdf manual somewhere i will check,

Thanks again,

Nik

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:20 am

I'd be looking at the small screen in the return to the injection pump. If the governor ring goes, it plugs up that screen leans out the engine (rev up) and then it cant start.

You might pull the timing cover on the injection pump and hold a rag under see if you have governor ring pieces there.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:24 am

NikinNZ,

review search... posts re..mouse turds and pelletane gasket..whole lot of stories and good info

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:12 pm

It might be the ring, but that usually shows up as losing power and stalling, not refusing to start after setting for a while. Infact they often will restart with a failing ring after they set a while and the pressure in the pump bleeds off.

It is the check valve in the excess fuel line from the top of the pump that plugs. There is a screen under the fuel inlet fitting.

NIKinNZ
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by NIKinNZ » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:02 am

Thanks to all who gave advice on this, Jim was correct, it was a dodgy wire/connection on the solenoid/switch on the pump. I cleaned it up, and it fired up straight away!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:31 am

Thanks for the follow up.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:31 am

Deleted duplicate post