Going Keyless...is it possible?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
labbe001
40C crawler
40C crawler

Going Keyless...is it possible?

Post by labbe001 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:34 pm

I'm kicking around the idea of wiring up my JD450 to be keyless. I'm envisioning something like installing a battery disconnect (in a discrete location) that will switch on all accessories when flipped to the on position. Then a pushbutton to crank the machine.

Currently the machine will cut off with the throttle lever all the way down but would imagine some sort of kill switch would need to be installed in order to make the starter circuit keyless.

Has anyone done this before and what are the pros/cons.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Going Keyless...is it possible?

Post by Jim B » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:49 pm

I can't see any pro to doing such. You will need a way to turn excitation to your alternator on and off (depending on the alternator you have) as well as control power to any electric gauges, except an ammeter which can stay live, you might have. A battery master switch located in a discrete location wouldn't be my choice for normal operation. The master switch is good to prevent tampering when parked.

labbe001
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by labbe001 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:47 pm

Yeah….I have a hefty amount of keys to keep up with and organized so I was thinking it’s one less key to have to keep up with. The dozer is out on my farm a ways from my house and on occasion, I’ve been absent minded and left the key at home. Also the ignition key switch has been fairly troublesome from time to time. The ignition wiring is old and crusty and needs a refresh anymore. Going keyless was just a thought and didn’t know if it was something common that people do.
I’m not all too concerned with the theft of the machine.
Just a thought.
I’ll prob replace the ignition switch, get a spare key and refresh the wiring.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:16 am

I suggest replacing the switch if needed and repair the wiring, then keep a spare key "in a discrete location" at the farm. Find a good hiding spot on the crawler and put the key there when leaving, not taking the key home, many do this.