Straight 450 Left Steering Lever Issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
nrowles
MC crawler
MC crawler

Straight 450 Left Steering Lever Issue

Post by nrowles » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:15 am

Yesterday I bought a 1970 JD 450 from a very good friend. I know some will say not to buy things like this from friends but we're all good. I'd rather buy from someone that's not trying to hide the problems and I'm not going to go back to him if there are issues as I understand this is a 50+ year old machine. For the most part it seems to be very solid. It has a few quirks but fully operable. I've had plenty of tractors and other toys but something like this is new to me so I definitely need to learn more about how it all works. He did give me a service manual.

Last evening I put about an hour in the seat rounding up a pile of pulpwood pine trees and pushing into a burn pile. Worked very well other than issue I'm bringing up here.

One thing I would like to get fixed or adjusted is the left steering/lever. It SOMETIMES doesn't work too well or at all. Here are the details.

*He has about 100 hours on the machine and it was like this since he bought it. He just dealt with it since from what he told me the cab would have to be removed to make steering clutch adjustments. It never changed or got better or worse over those 100 hours.

*The lower the gear the worse it is. Low 1 it is a real struggle. High 2 it works a lot better but not as good as the right lever.

*Reverse it appears to work completely normal. Just like the right lever.

*It does not pull one way or the other and I pushed a very heavy pile of trees quite well with it last evening. Both tracks seemed to be pushing like they are supposed to.

*Clutch and brake PEDALS seem fine and work well.

From the research I've done I would think this is an adjustment to the steering clutch. But I'd like some input. I would think if it were an issue with frozen clutches it would be this way all the time, not come and go with different operating situations and especially over the course of years and 100 hours. But at the same time it seems like it doesn't release in certain situations while others it operates normally.

Thoughts? How do I know for sure this is the issue? Could it be partially frozen/rusted steering clutches?

nrowles
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Straight 450 Left Steering Lever Issue

Post by nrowles » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:00 pm

I was told to get into something I couldn’t move. When the tracks started spinning the left steering clutch was releasing same as right.

I also noticed this evening that going downhill it turned much harder than going uphill.

I’m going to go with brakes being the problem. Hopefully an adjustment.

Is there a way to inspect the brakes without tearing things apart or do I start with a brake adjustment in hopes that fixes it?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 am

Start with the complete steering clutch and brake adjustment, following the procedure in the manual. You will be able to see some when you have it open to do the adjustment. If you have access to a bore scope type camera you might be able to look around a bit more.

nrowles
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by nrowles » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:21 am

ok, got it. My buddy has a bore scope. I will try to get it from him.