350 Float Detent

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Pete/ME
MC crawler
MC crawler

350 Float Detent

Post by Pete/ME » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:50 am

(I'm in...thanks Lavoy!) Have a '66 350 crawler/six-way and the float detent doesn't hold. Where would be the first place to look in the valve body?

teighs
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by teighs » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:47 am

It's a plunger/spring in the bottom cap. The parts have been superseded check out this parts breakdown: http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ,+Keylines
You have the parts in the inset in the lower left corner.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:26 pm

The spring holds 2,3 or 4 steel balls in place these are the detent balls .If you are lucky the spring has just loosened and only needs tightened.When you take this bottom piece apart and this will depend on the unit as in the 60s and70s Deere got several manufacturers to build spool valves Coss-Cessna -Hays, etc.watch for parts falling out .As the spring retaining bolt may have came out of the bottom of the spool valve plunger completely.These balls set into a grove in the spool valve bore to work .But like I say don't go too far if you don't have to .Tighten the retaining bolt if loose and hopefully that is all you need .Good luck.Digitup.

Granddad
40C crawler
40C crawler

Float Detent

Post by Granddad » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:17 pm

I'm a brand new first time crawler owner. I just acquired a 1969 350 Dozer. It has a tee handle to control the 6 way blade. How do I engage the float function? The manual (yup, I got them)says to engage the float function by using the left lever, but as I said I have the Tee handle. Do I just lower the blade down to the ground? and it won't dig deeper?

Also, it has no tach, how do I determine which throttle position should be used for dirt work? Just push it up until it gets a little stiff and hope it's about 3/4 throttle?

I have to adjust the clutch pressure plate on the left side. Apparently new clutches, but faulty adjustment of the pressure plate. Does the left rear mounting bracket for the ROPS have to be removed to get to the master link in the track for removal and installation.

The PO told me that the pin in the master link is just a pressure fit, sounds weak to me. Is it supposed to be held in with a c-clip or some such item?

A question to the moderator. I have asked three different questions in this one post, should I have made three different posts with different subjects?

Granddad
Pushing dirt and small trees in the Ozarks with a 350 Dozer

Pete/ME
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Pete/ME » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:03 am

Granddad, welcome to the board and JD crawlers. The "float detent" is just a little "hitch" when you push the "T" handle forward. It will stay that position until you move the handle up or down. It just opens the up and down valves to let gravity lower the blade. Handy for back-dragging. This is what I have to tinker with on my machine...it doesn't hold in "float". After you drive the master pin (look for the dimple on the end) in and out you will see that friction only holds it in place...it can be a bear either way, but search here for tips. Good luck, and have fun.

Pete/ME
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Pete/ME » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:58 am

Teighs, thanks, but the link doesn't seem to work, get some weird computer message.

teighs
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by teighs » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:06 am

OK, guess we'll have to do it the long way. Try this:
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt
When the screen comes up type 6305 into the model search.
In the left window:
Click on the plus sign to expand the index.
Then expand the sectional index.
Then expand the Hydraulic index.
Then click on control valve and spools.
You should get an exploded picture in the right window and the part numbers in the bottom window.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:46 pm

Granddad your float detent is pushing strait forward on your tee handle. It just nuturals your blade pressure and is used for back blading when in reverse mostly .As for a tach it was a option on the little Deeres for some years .You could add this to your existing dozer if you find a tach on one.But you need to get the parts from the dash right back to the motor .I would say just gear up and throttle up for now as you get used to it .I would start in low gear and close to 3/4 throttle as the 350s were slow in the hydraulic pump at 1/2 throttle .Yes those master pins are just pressure fit but don't worry about the pin falling out.As for the roll bar mount it should be out of the way .With your pin driver take the first couple of wacks at the master pin with it almost under the drive sprocket just to get it moving .It is more manageable in that position I find .Then drive ahead and split track near top roller . Digitup.