450D HLR Adjust. Help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
DLE55
40C crawler
40C crawler

450D HLR Adjust. Help

Post by DLE55 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:17 pm

Hello,
Just bought a 450D. Problem is H to Reverse is very hard and sharp to lock up.
R to HL seems ok. About 2 seconds to lock up.
Adjusted clutch pedal to 4” travel per tech manual. Adjusted 5/16 clutch valve adjusting nut down until pedal started to pull away from stop. Back out 5 turns. Run engine with pressure gage attached to test port. Turn nut down until pressure reached max. This was about 145 lbs. (H L and R is about 145 lbs.) Manual said to turn until max. keep turning until pressure begins to drop. (Pressure did not try to drop off any, even if I turned nut down past max. pressure 2-3 more turns.) Then turn nut down one more turn. Pedal started to move off so I backed it up slightly to get pedal back at stop. Then, per manual I pressed pedal down ½” to ¾” looking for a 10 psi increase, +-5 psi. When I press pedal it decreases as soon as the pedal starts moving. The more I press pedal the more pressure decreases. No changes in hard R shift.
Repeated adjustments at 1000 rpm and 1500 rpm. No change.
Repeated the above with pedal at 3-3/4 and 4” free travel. No change.
Repeated with 5/16 clutch valve nut turned down and up more or less. No change
Now I go to shift speed valve adjustment on right side of transmission. It is turned out from bottom 2 - 3 turns. I start turning in until I get H to Reverse to shift smooth1-1/2 seconds. It’s now about 1 turn from bottom. Reverse now seems good.
Problem now is R to H is about 8 – 10 seconds and very soft. Have not tried to push with it. Pressure on gage is low and slow to get to 145 lbs.
Had to stop working on it. Will try again this weekend.
All this is done cold. 65 degrees.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
David Edwards

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:54 am

Dave worm the machine to a regular operating temp.The pressure is right and you will find that it takes very little adjustment to set the shift steps.There may be something cough in a oil line .This may seem like a stupid question .Is the shift releasing slowly or entering the next gear slowly .A power shift line may be obstructed.A good way to see this is that test gauge .Watch for very little pressure fluctuation either way between gears.You may have to clean lines.Digitup.