Adjust steering clutch pressure plate in a 350

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Granddad
40C crawler
40C crawler

Adjust steering clutch pressure plate in a 350

Post by Granddad » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:46 pm

In my first post last week I mentioned the steering/power transmission problem. I pulled the left final drive and sure enough the pressure plate fingers were way out. I adjusted them down about 3/8". Picked up a drawing of the JD7 gauge from the local JD yellow shop and made one out of plastic. Put the final drive back in this afternoon. Now it is all buttoned up and I think all I have yet to do is adjust the track and adjust the clutch and brake.

The service manual makes a big deal about using a low pressure grease gun (like the one that came with the crawler, who knows where and when) rather than a high pressure gun. Am I correct to assume that any hand held lever pump grease gun is safe to use? I assume it is just a matter of pumping a lot of grease into the hydraulic track adjusters.

Are there any special hints that I should be aware of in adjusting the steering clutch and brake? The service manual lists a detailed procedure. Are there any surprises here?

When everything is adjust correctly should the levers rest on the stops on the floor plate? Before I started this project the right one did not and the left one ( the left side needed the pressure plate adjusted) did. What is preferred? Any hints will be welcomed.
Pushing dirt and small trees in the Ozarks with a 350 Dozer

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:09 pm

If all you are doing is the track adjusters, any grease guy will be fine.
Levers should sit on the stops, if they don't, something is out of whack.
Lavoy