Another JD 350C Reverser Question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
spm26191
MC crawler
MC crawler

Another JD 350C Reverser Question

Post by spm26191 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:20 pm

I have had some kids from the local tech school working on my crawler, but they didn't seem to get to the problem. Everything works really well, the engine is strong and fires right up, runs in all gears and the reverser works fine. No problem with steering either way and the hydraulics will hold the bucket up for days with no leaks or slipping. Now, that being said, the fluid from the reverser empties into the transmission. I have been told that it is probably the steering clutch seals. Is it a huge job to replace those? The local JD dealer said they would replace the seals and rebuild the clutches for $4500... I definitely can't do that. That is over twice what I paid for the machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:20 pm

This work is easier than you think .Get a parts catalog and a repair manual for that specific machine. If you can turn wrenches you can do this !!.Digitup.

spm26191
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by spm26191 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:49 am

Thanks, it just seems like I am much better at taking stuff apart than I am at putting it back together. I am leaning towards giving it a try, I may be looking for some knowledgeable advice on here though.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:49 am

I prefer just the opposite (putting together instead of taking apart), as it seems like everything I need to take apart is either rusted, stuck, or stripped not to mention oily!

I think the worst part about reassembly is knowing what every part is for and where it goes. After a couple of bad experiences when I was young on autos, I learned a couple of tricks to help with that- they may help you as well:

-Take lots of pictures (preferably digital) during the different stages of disassembly so you can see how things fit together and for hose/wire routings when you go to reassembly. Get several angles and good lighting.
-Organize larger parts together in a box or crate based on the reassembly order unless you have room to spread them out
-Put labels on all bolts, washers, minor parts stating what they are for and also for bolts, washers their location in the bolt pattern (if different sizes and or lengths). If numerous bolts/washers then I like to buy one of those part organizers specifically for the job at hand and label the drawers. Blank mailing labels work well for ends of disconnected wires or hoses so you can match them up
-Write down any special procedures not in the manual needed for reassmbly that are not otherwise in the service manual. For instance, I had a car where the best way to removal and reinstall the alternator (underneath on the driver's side) was to "walk it" by hand across the back of the firewall to the passenger side of the vehicle- the shop manual showed removal of the halfshaft opn the driver's side to get it out. It is easy to forget the "tricks" you used a couple months later if they aren't written down
-Write down all the recommended torques on a card for easy referral so you aren't having to stop and look them up in the middle of the work

They take a little time upfront but will make reassembly go a lot quicker. Hope these help.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:04 pm

Come to think about it I like taking things apart more too .Dose any one want to put a backhoe transmission together this week so I don't have to ?Ya I know good luck right !!!.Trying to do this between job setups and I would rather run them then fix them . The transmission pump went into a self destruct mode and at 115 lbs oil pressure the power shift clutches started to slip .The dealer is on a 3 week shop time backup so I started it my self in my spare time of witch I have none . And my patience is slowly dwindling to nothing.So I have been part time pushing dirt with our latest dozer another 550J got 3 of them now .It is always just so great to run a machine and relax the mind .Digitup.

spm26191
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by spm26191 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:33 am

Those are great tips. It always seems so easy when you take it apart, like you couldn't possibly forget how it goes back together. It is amazing how quickly one does forget.