Question, for a new Crawler owner.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
670johndeere
40C crawler
40C crawler

Question, for a new Crawler owner.

Post by 670johndeere » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Hello, I am the proud new owner of a 71 JD 350B. This is my first crawler and so far I am very pleased. My question is, my engine seems to have a small miss, it just dosen't run very smooth. It seems to have good power, and pushes well, but just the slight miss. I am going to change the fuel filters in the next week or so. I talked to a couple of farm buddies of mine, and they said that the 3 cyl. JD's don't run really smooth. I was just wondering what you guy's thought. I have been following along on this website, and going through all the old topics for about a month now, and boy is their alot of knowledgeable people on here. Looking forward to learning alot about my crawler from you all. Thanks Dale :)
Diehard John Deere Man

670johndeere
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 670johndeere » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:35 pm

Well I changed the filters, and Man were they dirty, the bowl on the bottom of the first stage was about 1/4in thick with some black gunk. Cleaned everything up, and dumped some diesel kleen in the tank to help with cleaning the injectors. Helped it some, but it still dosen't run real smooth. Also I noticed that it blows a little puff of smoke when it is at idol. Maybe an injector going south? Anyone have any suggestions.
Diehard John Deere Man

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:46 am

It is a guessing game without actually hearing and seeing the engine. I will give some tips.
If your pump is worn, you can get uneven pulses that will cause that. If one or more of your injector tips are worn or clogged, they will no longer give a nice even spray. Sometimes they will even form a drop instead of a spray, which will cause the uneven running and puffs of smoke. Make sure all of the lines are tight, not leaking or cracked.
It could also be a head gasket blown out. Have you checked your antifreeze to make sure it is not leaking down, a sign of blow by?
There are of coarse other things that could be wrong or out of adjustment.
Again, I am just guessing, but hoping something will help you locate the problem.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

670johndeere
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 670johndeere » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:47 pm

Thanks for the reply, and suggestions. I have been checking my antifreeze and haven't noticed any drop in the level. I will start checking the other tips you gave me. Thanks alot.
Diehard John Deere Man

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue May 01, 2007 8:25 am

Deeres pencil injectors sometimes start to dump or as was said go out of the misting spray that is suppose to happen .They tend to leave a slobber in the exhaust manifold if they idle for a long time .This will burn off when you put them to work .Deeres little pencil injectors are cheap and easy to clean and reset at almost any injector shop .Pull them straight out though they will bend if pulled at an angle.If they have dumped for a long time you may need new tips on them as well .Digitup.