450C Clutch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
DLE55
40C crawler
40C crawler

450C Clutch

Post by DLE55 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:58 pm

I'm looking at buying a 450C. You can press the pedal to the floor and can't feel the engine clutch working. You can shift 1-4 gears if your quick with it and the engine RPM is slow. You have to turn off the tractor to shift it if it gets between gears. The top half of the travel works the HLR ok. The pedal feels the same at the bottom of travel as it does at the top 4" of travel. The HLR shifts to hard without using the pedal. I know it needs adjusting. The guy that has the tractor uses the clutch pedal for the HLR most of the time. What could be wrong with the engine clutch? Something stuck or broke or just need adjusting. Thanks, David Edwards

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:00 pm

It sounds to me like the clutch is stuck engaged with the flywheel and that you are basically forcing it into gear without clutch assistance (we used to call that "powershifting").

If that's whats going on, you may be able to free it up by simaltaneously applying break and throttle while rapidly pressing the clutch pedal. I have found though that it usually means the pressure plate springs and/or throwout bearing are pretty worn or that the clutch itself is worn out.

Does the 450C have a hydraulically-actuated clutch? If so then what I mentioned may not be applicable.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

DLE55
40C crawler
40C crawler

450C Clutch

Post by DLE55 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:18 pm

Tigerhaze,
The top 3-1/2" - 4"of pedal travel does operate the HLR transmission. The bottom travel of the pedal should be working the engine clutch, that part of it's not hydraulic. You can press it to the floor and can't feel any resistance. It feels like it doesn't have a clutch in it. The HLR part works ok. It's not my machine or I would try to see what I could do with it.
I am just looking for others opinions on what it could be. I was thinking about buying it. I can't figure it out unless I could go in to it. The guy selling it thinks its good as new but there's something wrong.
I have an old IH B414 farm tractor that the clutch froze up. I think I freed it up by holding in the clutch pedal down and bumping into a tree. I can't remember if I could feel pressure on the pedal or if it just went to the floor and nothing.
Thanks for the reply,

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue May 01, 2007 8:07 am

If the main clutch is not set right it wont work right and if it is not set close it wont work at all.If the clutch or steering clutch are not right the collar shift unit [1-2-3-4] will spin between the synchronizers that are between 1&2 -2&3 and 3&4.The [HLR] is two dubble sets of multiple plate clutches that have nothing to do with the other transmission or the steering clutches.The collar shift is very torque sensitive and an out of adjustment main clutch will show here .SET THE MAIN CLUTCH only.Do not touch any thing else till the main clutch is set up right or it is that much more of a job to set up every thing from out of sync.Digitup.