555 A

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rustycrawler
40C crawler
40C crawler

555 A

Post by rustycrawler » Mon May 14, 2007 7:19 pm

Hello
A friend of mine has a 555 A that after you run it for a while the trans fluid disapears at a rate of 3 or 4 gal per 5 to 6 hours. He cant see it leaking out anywhere is there another compartment that its going into via a seal?
Wade

jboettcher
40C crawler
40C crawler

555A LEAK

Post by jboettcher » Tue May 15, 2007 7:46 am

Sir
I also have a 555A and have delt with numerous leaks. My first impression is this: It has to be going someplace and the obvious is on the ground. The most common is a coupling under the belly pan which from vibration will develope a small crack. It's the one coming from and directly off the pump. It's hard to see the crack even after you have removed it and cleaned it up, but believe me when the pump is under pressure it will spew oil by the gallons. Also, any number of hoses, couplings, etc. will all leak bad if ruptured. If the transmission is not leaking oil, there's really no place it can go? Yes, if seals are bad in the finals the transmission oil will make it's way there, but it's the same kind of oil and most later models have a common sump return anyway. Also, if you top off the transmission and top off the finals with oil and neither one leaks, you should see no loss of oil. Pull those belly pans and I'll bet you'll see plenty of signs of oil leak. Start your dozer (be sure you have brakes set and the trans shifter locked) and you'll find your leak. Another question? Are you sure you have topped off the transmission with enough oil. If it was way low to start with and you filled it up to the mark you need to run it some and bring the transmission up to temp and then check again at idal. That trans holds a lot of oil.

Let me know what you find.

Myassitis from Missouri

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue May 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Some people swore at the 550 series.But I had to swear by them .Between the 550 and the 550B they were two of my best dozers .They had a good sized transmission capacity of 13.5 gallon dozer and 15.5gallon for the loader .that transmission should not just leak into the steering clutches or final drives either .Finals take 6.25 quarts each And steering clutches take 28 quarts each .It is amazing how much oil a skid plate will hold check that two.Put it too work with oil levels correct and watch your transmission gauge closely .Digitup.