350 reverser question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
derbycrawler
420 crawler
420 crawler

350 reverser question

Post by derbycrawler » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Hello to all, I am jumping the gun a little bit by asking this question but I want to get a heads up on a possible problem. Can anyone give me information on what causes a slight hesitation in shifting from reverse to forward. Once shifted into forward it seems to take a moment to get pressure then it takes off. The machine doesn't seem to have the hesitation when going from forward to reverse. The fluid level is good and the filter in the reverser was changed just last year and fluid looks clean, but I know something just isn't right. I noticed it in 3rd gear first and now tonight after some dirt pushing I have noticed it starting to do the same thing in 2nd, which is my normal operating gear. Hope you can help. Thanks Shannon

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

what model?

Post by CatD8RII » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:46 pm

What model 350 is it? A B or C?. Does it only occur when the machine is at operating temperature?

derbycrawler
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by derbycrawler » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:13 pm

It's a 350 A and it seems to do it even when its just warming up. The third gear is worse than the second gear, at least at the present time. It does shift but it has a little hesitation, like a slippage. When I noticed the second gear starting to do this I has gotten into a pretty good pile of mud and the tracks got packed pretty tight. Once cleaned out, it still seems to have the same hesitation. It may get a little worse at operating temp but not much and it is only in the forward movement. I seen a post on checking pressures and turning them up but I guess I haven't got that type of info on how to actually doing that. More turning it up than checking pressure. Thank you for the reply, I am very appreciative of the responce. Every little bit of info helps. Thank you, Shannon

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Pressue Check

Post by CatD8RII » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:11 am

What is kind of weird is that you dont have any problem on the reverse side. Did this problem happen all of the sudden of gradually? I beleive the A machines use a cable to activate forward and reverse. I'd check the cables adjustment to make sure its fully engaging forward. If thats not it then you need to check pressures. Then it could be a leaking forward clutch piston,worn clucth discs or a leaking feed tube/O-ring. I know that on the C model machnies the pressure taps are on the reverser control valve which is on the left side of the machine bolted to the reverser housing.The tap for clutch pressure is above the rotary F/R valve. The taps are 1/8" NPT. Then youd be able to watch the pressure curve as the clutch is applied.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:04 am

Chances are that the valve for forward is not opening completely or fast enough check that the linkage is able to go all the way in with no restriction bottoming out .Slippage will occur more in higher gears as you will notice this in the higher ratios first .The pressure is not getting into the clutch pack unit quick enough causing it to slip .Check your linkage and your pressure .Digitup.

derbycrawler
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by derbycrawler » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:43 pm

The third gear has done this since the day I bought it and only in the forward, the second gear started just all of a sudden. I had it pretty much up to the belly pan in mud and the machine started getting a little warm and that is when I noticed it happen. I let it run and cool down and then got back on and finished the last little bit and it was still doing it when I loaded it. Once home and unloaded I still had the new problem in second gear. The next day I tried again and still there.
Once a pressure gauge is connected, what is the correct procedure to check the pressures and what are the proper operating pressures. Do you just operate the machine through the gears and watch the pressures?
I will check my linkage and see if it is maybe out of adjustment and then go on to the pressures. I am very curious to see what the pressures are just so I know.
Thank you guys very much for the info, it is giving me a great place to start. Shannon

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Pressure

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:19 pm

According to the spec sheet on deere.com its 110-130PSI @2650 engine RPM. Check the pressure in Reverse and Forward they should match

derbycrawler
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by derbycrawler » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:51 pm

Thank you!! I will try to get this unit checked out as soon as possible to keep everyone informed. Thanks again. Shannon