Introduction, JD450 questions

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Introduction, JD450 questions

Post by dsm » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:04 am

Hello fellow crawlers.
I just picked up a JD450 loader w/rippers two weeks ago to use around the farm. As luck would have it, its been raining ever since its arrival. I'm like a kid with a new bike and its raining outside.
I did manage to get a few hrs on it last weekend and I noticed a few things that bugged me.

1) The steering levers are hard to pull and only brake at the final inch or so of travel. The right more so than the left. Any tips on adjusting these? I've yet to obtain a manual.
2) what type of fluid is used in the transmission? I suspect it needs to be changed as with all the other fluids/filters.
3) The transmission pressure guage is either not working or the pressure is very low. Can I tie a known good gauge and test this? Proceedure?
And,
4) Anyone here have an afordable manual? Originals are all I could find.

The machine runs very well and seems to be tight otherwise. The sprockets show about 3/8 of an inch on the tops of the teeth, rollers look ok. She has no leaks that I have noticed.
I could use the two metal hydraulic tubes that are located on top of the left bucket cylinder. These have been replaced with hoses and do not lay well thru the loaders full travel. Anyone have a parts machine?

Its a JD450 SN T5E3M011467.
I'm hoping I can move it with my old 1 ton cummins powered dodge. I've never towed this much weight. I think it weighs around 17K lbs. ??? Anyone want to comment on their towing setup?

Thanks Lavoy for a great board. Looks like a few good folks here.

Regards,
Dan

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:24 am

Hi Dan- welcome to the board. I too have found it very informative and have just recently gotten into the world of owning a crawler.

I can only offer comment on two things; the manuals and the towing. I am assuming you have a straight 450 crawler (not a B, C, etc.).

With regards to the manuals, you should still be able to get those directly from Deere at:

http://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/index. ... ductScroll

I am showing the operator's manual to be OMT35952 at $26, PC922 (crawler) and PC927 (loader attachment) for the parts manuals ($63 and $25 respectively), and SM2064 for the service manual ($150). All are printed versions; they also have CD versions which are soemwhat cheaper. You will need to verify all manual numbers I mentioned before purchasing but can use the link I gave you.

As for towing, my 2010 crawler loader with Model 50 backhoe attachment weighs approximately 16K pounds. The spec sheets I have for the 450 (with loader bucket and counterweights) is about the same weight. I would assume having the scarifier instead of counterweights would bring you up to the 17K weight you stated.

My 2010 setup was delivered to me by a guy using a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel and a heavy duty (dual wheel triple axle) gooseneck trailer; I believe it had a rated capacity of 21K pounds. He was somewhat lighter than I would be on the truck end of his setup end but I would think that if you used a 1 ton truck with a similar trailer setup you should be OK.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:46 pm

Thanks for the link on for the manuals. Although, I was hoping to find a used service manual as $150 is a bit much for a manual on something this old.
Yes, its a straight 450.
The transmission fluid is somewhat of a concern to me. The PO has replaced the seat with one that does not allow easy access to the fluid check point. As a matter of fact I need to pull the seat to get to the filler.
I spend most of this afternoon with the power washer. I pulled the engine covers and got soaked blasting every area I could get to. I plan on soaking it again and then giving it a proper paint job.
Cheap 'Dollar Store' oven cleaner does wonders on old equipment.
One thing I did find is the block looks as if it has been welded due to a freeze at some point. No coolant leaks though.

So, "dual wheel triple axle" as in 12 tires? I've found a 20Klb gooseneck with tandem duals. Not sure what the trailer weighs though. I can't imagine it being less than 4K though.

I'm gonna try to pull the belly pan this weekend and have a real good look. Hopping to change the crankcase oil and trans fluid if I find out what it uses.

Can't wait to do some diggin'.

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:09 pm

I cannot comment on the 450 as I only have the 440 models. I would love to have a good 450.
I can comment with experience on the towing. Many folks have hauled all kinds of things successfully, meaning that they got from point A to point B without incident. That does not imply that it was at all safe or within the law.
Most well made dual tandem goose neck trailers with 10K axles are going to weight 6,000 LBS +. I had a 30 foot that was 7,500 LBS empty. Add chains, spare tire, jack, tools, etc. and you can add hundreds of pounds in a hurry and you haven't even loaded a crawler.
Look at the GCVW for the truck that you are wanting to use. Legally you cannot exceed that weight by one pound without facing fines.
The other issue is a CDL (Commercial Driver's License). The limit nationwide is 26,000 LBS. That is NOT what your rig weights, it is what your truck and trailer combined is rated to haul. Needless to say that you would be well over 26,000 LBS with a dual tandem trailer as you described. This means that you must have a CDL, DOT number, medical certificate, IFTA stickers for all states that you drive, in other words, everything a semi trucker is required to have.
Many people thought that CDL was only for folks charging to haul. It is for certain weight brackets.
Until recently, many folks did not worry too much about it. All states have begun to crack down on CDL's. You may get lucky and either not get stopped by the law or not have an accident. If you have an accident pulling that much, even if it is not your fault, you can face stiff fines and even be sued. It is not worth the risk unless you are just moving it one time several miles.
In some states you can purchase a one time temporary permit for such hauls that are private and not regular runs.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:55 am

Everyone I talked to (esp the trailer sales place)says my truck will tow it, no problem. However, I am much more aware of what 'might' happen.
Safety comes first, fines/penalties second... Pushing the limits of anything this heavy makes me nervous. If I did need to move the JD450 it would only be a couple of miles down the road to my brother's place or to a shop for repair. I don't plan on 'hiring' out my dozer time. Perhaps I'll just pay someone if/when it needs to be moved and scratch the idea of owning a trailer.

Back to the question of fluids, does the transmission use standard hy/trans?
http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/partsi ... aulic.html

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:13 pm

If you have a good trailer, good brakes, good tires, etc, you could haul this crawler from coast to coast with your pickup, and do it legally if you had the correct drivers license. You biggest problem may be the DOT guys if you plan on hauling any distance at all.
Welcome to the board.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:52 am

dsm wrote:If I did need to move the JD450 it would only be a couple of miles down the road to my brother's place or to a shop for repair. I don't plan on 'hiring' out my dozer time. Perhaps I'll just pay someone if/when it needs to be moved and scratch the idea of owning a trailer.
If yopu aren't going to need to move it except for repairs, having someone else haul it is probably a better approach. You would be suprised how cheap it is to get it hauled. I had another larger crawler loader I rented last year delivered by semi 50 miles one-way for $125. Trailer ownership can get expensive with registration and taxes, if you don't plan to use it much.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:04 pm

I have decided that unless I find a heck of a deal on the "right" trailer then I'll just pay to have it moved when needed.

We have more rain here. I don't think I'll ever get to use it. Just a few miles north of my ranch there was severe flooding last week. One of the people who drown was a distant cousin of mine. I've never seen it flood there. Crazy weather, drought last yr now this...

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

I be diggin'

Post by dsm » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:16 am

Topped off the trans fluid with what JD called for. I was planning on changing it but when I checked it it looked new.
In spite of the rain I got some time on it yesterday digging stumps and pushed a couple of trees over. I'm having a blast, getting better at controlling it all.
Kinda spooky on the slopes. What angle is the roll over point? I sure as heck don't want to find out.

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:34 am

I would suggest getting some time on it and known it well before getting on much of a slope. You can be on a slope doing fine, but if the tracks on the high side run over something like a stump, it can tip you over.
Some of it depends on how high or low you have your blade, how top heavy you are (ROPS), etc.
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:16 pm

You can traverse moderate slopes, BUT there are at least two major rules you should always try to follow:

1) Always go straight up and down slopes- never approach them from the side or at an angle, and
2) Always keep the bucket as low to the ground as possible as to keep your center of gravity low

There may be more rules if I thought about it, but those are the two that my union operator buddy told me are the most important.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:23 pm

Dan the steering levers will move easer with more use .But Deeres always took nearly the hole stroke to touch the brakes .The dash gage on a Deere is at times not even close to accurate so yes hook up a GOOD gage and you should have around 150LBS at least .In my neck of the woods you are close to over weight with a unit that size on a 9 ton trailer so watch your local laws .The truck will take it but the rules of the road might not .With that s/n it is a 1965build .Change your filters first not the trans oil after 50 hours change the filter again and empty it then cut the filter open don't grind it open check for fine grindings from the trany .This will tell you the condition of it quickly.Digitup.

Stretch
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Stretch » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:44 am

One more note on towing. Make sure your vehicle is tagged for the weight.
Meaning you have to tell DMV what you want on your registration.
The DMV guys here in NC just wait for someone to drive by with a pick-up and trailer with a piece of machinery on it. If you are stopped and your registration does not cover your gross weight the fine can get into the really long dollars.
Past expierience speaking here, I tried to sneak something that I knew weighed more than what I was registered for and got caught. :cry:
Fortunatly I knew the DMV officer and after a little lecture he let me go and told me if he caught me again it would cost me about $1200.00. :shock:
Stretch
2010C Dozer, 2010C Loader
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:54 am

Thanks guys.

More rain here so, the 450 sits. :cry: