JD450C Transmission/Hydraulics

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ramody44
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD450C Transmission/Hydraulics

Post by ramody44 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:27 pm

I was borrowing a friends circa 1973 JD450C Crawler w/ bucket. When in the back 40, the Crawler "lost" its ability to move forward or reverse. Prior to this, there was a leak in the steel hydraulic line, from rubbing on the frame, that runs near your left foor, under a small plate, but above the left track, that runs up the bucket arms. It was spraying pretty good, but I was just monitoring the fluid to get thru the day. The left turn stopped working, as it would not "brake" the left track to turn, had to back up in reverse to get down the trails. Eventually, like I stated, the crawler stopped moving forward and reverse. It was like there was no power to going to the tracks, when the day before and earlier, it was pushing w/o any issues. I was able to get it turned around before I lost all movement, thankfully so I could eventually have it towed out. Owner states the clutch was changed apprx. 100 hrs ago.--
Questions: Could the hydraulic fluid have sprayed onto the left turn clutches/ transmission clutches causing it to just slip? It has the 1-4 gear selector on the left arm area, and the LHR shifter inbetween your feet.
Could the hole in the hydraulic arm, prevent the hydraulic pump from pressuring the clutches against the pressure plates?
When engaging the LHR, it will put pressure on the tracks and tension them, but it will not turn them for movement. When we towed it out, sometimes it would almost propel itself forward and bring some slack on the tow chain, but it would just barely do this. I don't know much about hydraulics or how they engage/drive this type of equipment. I feel like I need some closure on this, as It was borrowed equipment. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Rick

mailtrain
430 crawler
430 crawler

450c hyd

Post by mailtrain » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:19 pm

I do believe that the hyd system is all one unit. The transmission lost all the fluid thats why it won't drive,fix the broken line and replace the fluid it should go. If the pump didn't burn up

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:09 pm

My 450 has a seperate tank for the loader hydraulics. Trans fluid dipstick is found under the seat.
Fix that leaking line before you use that machine anymore. That has to be making a hell of a mess.

ramody44
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by ramody44 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:41 am

Yes, the crawler does have two seperate reservoirs, one for the bucket and the other under the seat for the transmission. How many pumps are on this unit? Would a hole in a bucket line, cause the transmission to stop engaging properly if there is only one pump?