350b, yep another dang rookie

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
deli50
40C crawler
40C crawler

350b, yep another dang rookie

Post by deli50 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:37 pm

Will try to explain best I can, jd350b track loader, got approx. 2 weeks ago, when running noticed the right brake was kinda weak, called the guy I got it from, he told me that new clutchs were put in less than 100 hrs. ago, and just to adjust the linkage in proper order. He faxed me the info. which worked fine. Well, took her out for another day of pushing, and right brake again seemed weak, so I began using the left more & more. Was on the way back to the house, and had to climb a small incline, machine made a hard right turn going up. Noticed I only had power to the left track. When I pulled on the right brake, nothing, when pulling on the left brake, machine stops all forward movement. Pulled off both covers under seat, left seems fine, right side looks very wet! hydralic oil? Ill be the first to admit Ive never worked on heavy equip. And from reading posts here, my guess is I have some type of clutch problem, the only thing is, with all the fluid on the right side, is that an accurate diagnosis?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:57 pm

If it has oil in there, all the clutch work was for nothing, it will all have to be redone. Oil soaked clutch discs will not pull, and can not be cleaned successfully. Either a pinion shaft seal has let go, or the carrier seal is bad.
Lavoy

deli50
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by deli50 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:29 am

thx, Lavoy

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:20 am

I wonder why it's always the right side to have problems???

Good luck on the repair! Keep us updated on the progress.
Wish I had more to offer.

deli50
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by deli50 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:45 pm

Going from what Ive learned here, the right track has to come off, followed by the sproket to remove the final drive. Correct?, then its a matter of getting new clutch plates, new seals, and a tool from Lavoy? I know I make it sound alot easier than its gonna be, but do I have the general idea of what needs to be done?

670johndeere
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 670johndeere » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 pm

Sounds like you are on your way at being a crawler mechanic. I feel your pain man. My right side went out within the first month of getting mine too. Have had both sides off since then. Get you a good manual, and ask plenty of questions on here, and I believe you'll have no problem. If your mechanically inclined, and have a couple of good friends, you won't have any problems. Good Luck.
Diehard John Deere Man

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:24 pm

That is about it, you will also want to degrease the clutch housing and internals as much as possible before reassembly.
Lavoy