350b rookie update...

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
deli50
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by deli50 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:11 am

Last night I took off the rock pan, as I was loosening the bolts, oil started spilling from the pan, is that normal. Once removed I could see a very large gear. Im still waiting for the service manual, but figured I would go a little futher.

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:13 am

When Steve was referring to the "Rock Pan", he was talking about the large plate the covers the bottom of the crawler that protects the bottom of the machine. If I'm guessing correctly, your crawler might not have had the rear bottom plate in place or it wasn't an interference when you were removing the backside bolts from the final drive.

If what you removed was 12" long or so and 4" wide and was held on by 8 or so bolts, that is the final drive oil pan and that gear you're looking at is the bull gear. The final drive gear case is filled with 80W-90 gear lube up to the top fill plug. There should be a bottom drain plug in what you removed.
Bill Wattson

deli50
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by deli50 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:11 pm

got the service manual yesterday, so went back to work, I had not removed the two bolts on the backside of the final drive yet, so started there. Noticed I could not gain access to them, as a big chunk of steel was in the way. Figured out that it was a counter balance weight, and geez was it heavy, finally slid it back and out of the way. Gonna need a few big boys to put that thing back on. Removed the last two bolts on the back side, and the final came loose. I then noticed that the bar that in the beginning was blocking me from removing the two upper bolts was part of the ripper frame. Looks like I have to remove the ripper bar & frame from the machine. Anyways getting there slowly.

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Ripper

Post by CatD8RII » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:43 pm

The ripper needs to come off to get to the final. The mounting bracket specifically. There are 2 3/4" (1 1/8" wrench) bolts going upwards through the (loader frame?) to the bracket . (Not sure if its a loader or dozer). And is has 4 bolts in the back bolting it to the final drive. However to get this bracket off youre gonna need to get the ripper mast (or tower) off. You need to block up the ripper frame , get the lift cylinder off and then take out the 1 big bolt that goes through the mast to the bracket. Then the bracket should lift up and then off (it has a pin that sits in the hook of the bracket. ) I feel bad for not checking in more often, its alot eaier to drop the ripper off and pull forward with the machine.

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

PS

Post by CatD8RII » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:54 pm

Let me know if you need more info, Im in the process of mounting a ripper on my 350C I could take some pictures of the process of you need

deli50
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by deli50 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:25 pm

thx guys, last night, got the ripper off, and pulled the final drive, came out pretty easy after loosening the brake band. now that I got her apart, any suggestions on the next step(s)?

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:00 pm

I only got one little 350D wide track .The only 350 I have owned and can honestly say I never had it apart except for the injectors rebuilt and the last time that I asked someone else to run it I ended up running it my self.The air conditioning apparently dosen t work on it .I only put 200 hours on it yearly and with the tracks as wide as they are she is hard on her self on the dry going so it keeps the 40C company in the back shop mostly.Digitup.

deli50
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by deli50 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:38 pm

What a day yesterday was, final is in, but not without a fight. First of all was just me and a bobcat to move things around, if you have never wrestled with a final drive by yourself, words of advise DONT DO IT. Still looking for tools that mysteriously landed on the other side of the property. Anyways, made several attempts to line everything up, but it would not go in, still have side tank on, so hanging by a chain was not gonna work, so I had to use the bucket of skid, with two long extentions through 2 holes in the final and set it close as poss. then rest final on floor jack w/wheels. Then it was a matter of jumping in & out of bobcat. Just when I was ready to give up, I was laying underneath looking at back side, I noticed that a cover on the back side, that has bearing underneith it was hitting the frame. So again I tried going up and down, but no matter what I did, it was in the way. FINALLY, I looked at the other cover on the other final. My side was upside down, needed flipped over. Once that was done, she slid home. Hope the rest goes easy.

Mike