450 steering question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

450 steering question

Post by dsm » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:04 pm

What is inside the case beyond the shaft that is attached to the steering levers?
My right lever was tight then today it felt like something snapped when I pulled it. It still has a return spring feel but it does nothing else.
External linkage is OK and I see the shaft turn when the lever is pulled back. Its something inside the housing. What's my approach at this?

What the heck can be wrong now???

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:56 am

Looks like I'll be digging into it. Local guy says around $1500 plus parts but he's at least 2 weeks behind.
I'm heading to the ranch to see if I can pull the small top cover off to have a look.

Gonna scratch my new paint...crap.

What's the heaviest part and its rough weight? I need to make sure I can lift everything.

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:31 pm

I removed the small 6x8" cover on top held on with five bolts. This revealed that the clutch adjustment bolt for the right side was broken/missing. Apparantly it broke and fell down into the hell hole.
There are two spherical bushings, washers... ends that were also gone.
I tried fishing them out of the housing with a magnet but never found anything. Hopefully there's enough clearance in the bottom for the bolt piece to lay without getting in the works.
I tried a temporary bolt and everything seems to work well.

I need to find the proper adjuster bolt with the spherical end bits.

Also, can anyone give me the proceedure for adjusting the steering clutches, brakes?

Dan

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:50 pm

Kinda dead here...

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:23 pm

It kinda happens that way on here sometimes. It's not that folks aren't reading your posts; it's just that there's not that many 450s on this board and most of us don't know how to help with one.
Bill Wattson

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:04 pm

I'm sure Digitup will help you once he sees the post, but I think he told us that he wouldn't be on here much with all the things he's got going on.

You could also try the YT discussion group for crawlers; there are several really good guys on there that are knowledgeable about the JD 450s.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:59 pm

I kinda figured that. Or else everyone was out digging...

I just want to make sure I've got the clutch adjusted correctly before I run the machine.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:12 pm

Kind of cough me in a bad position here .I have been running a crew of 6 of my machines up north .I am in a hell hole to say the least and can see that Dan is having problems and all that I have is a hand held gps down load unit [As I am not totally computer literate and cant figure out how to return a message on this *%# thing .]But on the up side I'm never lost with this unit any way .Now the next bad news is that the oldest Deere dozer here is a J series can someone help us out with the housing he is having problems in. It sounds like the clutch housing and yes those bolts have all kinds of room on the bottom .I once bought a 450D and it had 5- 9/16 wrenches in the bottom of it with room to spare for the stupid mechanic that put them there .Replace that adjustment bolt with an original-proper bolt for sure Dan That bolt needs to be in the unit to do any adjustment .Also if you think you are going to drop the wrench then use a combination wrench and put a old shoe lace through the hole and around your wrist if it slips then you still got it .If your parts man cant find one then see if you can find a wrecker that has one . There should be plenty at the local wreckers .Lavoy should even have one as the 350s used that bolt also .Try to install the same head size as the other side has .You can get them with 1/2 or 9/16 heads and I think they are 3/8 coarse thread .I am going to flag down my resident computer geek as he also runs a excavator for me . I noticed I have 15 e mails here and cant reply .Have patients with me and I will get back ASAP .Digitup.

dsm
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dsm » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:31 pm

Thanks! That's a relief knowing the bolt has room to lay in there. I had thoughts of pouring something sticky in to hold it down but I hope I don't ever get that rough with the machine.
Now I just need to locate a bolt and the adjustment proceedure...