Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
reb
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 450C on the way

Post by reb » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:32 pm

Well I just bought this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=001

Is the 3 point really factory equipment? It looks like something fabricated to me.

I found new sprockets from murphy on ebay for 180+80 shipping. Is there a better place to get them(Lavoy, do you have them)? This is my first crawler so any advice is appreciated. Do I need to replace anything else when I change the sprokets? This is a machine with 6400 hours, do I need to do any adjusting or preventative maintenance on it?

I want factory manuals for it, are they available new?

Im going to take my grain truck to go get it (587miles one way, I wish my truck was airconditioned)

I want to get a 4in1 bucket for it if anybody knows of one for sale.

Thanks for the forum,
Ross/Nebraska

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:35 am

Ross,
Hard to tell from the pics, but I don't believe that is a factory 3PT, might be aftermarket. I no longer have my 450 books, so can't look it up, but I don't remember there being a factory 3Pt for 450.
That's high on 450 sprockets, I sell them cheaper than that.
I would probably change all of the fluids and filters unless the previous owner has maintenance records of some sort.
Cheapest place for manuals might be Ebay, sometimes there are some nice old originals on there.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 450C on the way

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:37 am

reb wrote:This is my first crawler so any advice is appreciated. Do I need to replace anything else when I change the sprokets?
Well, I am really just learning myself but what I have been told is that you really need to look at the rest of the undercarriage as a complete system when you change sprockets to maximize your investment, especially with respect to the track pins/bushings that ride over the sprockets.

I saw the pics on Ebay and the sprockets definitely looked worn as well as the track pads, but it was hard to tell the condition of the rails, pins/bushings, and the rollers and idlers.

I would inspect all of your rollers and idlers while you have the tracks off- it will be easier to free wheel them and see if the hub bushings are worn or whether they need replacment.

There is a good link I posted in the "Links" forum of this site that includes an inspection manual for undercarriage in case you need more specifics on what to look for during inspection.

You may want to have the pins/bushings turned if they are in good shape on one side and you will have the tracks off to put on the sprockets, although that is a bigger cost investment. You may double the life of your pins/bushings if you turn them now. Just a thought.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

reb
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by reb » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:46 pm

Thanks guys
Lavoy,

What is the cost for new JD sprockets for the 450c? Are they all the same or do you need a serial number to get the right one. Do you have the parts necessary to add a pto? What would the parts cost? I am planning on picking the machine up this weekend so I should have a better idea of what parts I need after that.
Thanks, Ross

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:22 am

Ross,
When you get it home, e-mail me the serial number, and I will recheck the sprockets just to be sure.
I am not sure what all it would take to add PTO, but if it is similar to a 2010, it would be a lot of parts.
Lavoy

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:50 pm

The PTO is just a shaft seal and plate to install and it turns full time . to put the shaft in you drive up on a log with the sprockets and pull the plate off .Then shove the shaft in and hook into the spline .You then have a PTO on a 450 series crawler [Without losing any oil] They run about 20% slower than the farm tractors .Digitup.

reb
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by reb » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:53 pm

I got the machine home, the 3 point is not factory. The manual I got with it shows the availability of a pto with a lever under the air cleaner to turn it on and off. Mine has a hole there but no lever so I guess it would have to be installed in the transmission.
The sprockets are really bad and the tracks are stretched way past 100% wear. 25.82 inches is considered 100% wear and mine is at 26.5".

JAG
40C crawler
40C crawler

REB

Post by JAG » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:39 pm

You got me on the PTO till I looked it up in the books. My 450C, an 1980 model, has a winch which is PTO driven that runs full time. The PTO lever was never there. I learn something new every time I follow a new thread.. You guys keep up the good work
JAG