Steering clutch plate replacement/breaking track

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
trollaj
MC crawler
MC crawler

Steering clutch plate replacement/breaking track

Post by trollaj » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Anyone know a easy way to replace the clutch plates (left side)?

How about...is there a handy dandy tool i can use to break the track (instead of beating it with a BFH)?

Symptoms = i can't turn left, the tracks just stop, and the dozer pulls right while pushing a load. I believe the dozer is being driven by the right track only . The clutch plate adjustment bolt is all the way back.

I have the left clutch housing plate off and nothing looks out of whack, so i'm just hesitant to break track, remove the sprocket, axle, and guts if i don't have to...wow what a big job for such a small part.

Also, if/when i replace the clutch plates, how do i "properly" adjust everything so this doesn't happen again?

Any help would be appreciated!
Jon

trollaj@hotmail.com
Jon
JD 450 (straight 450)
trollaj@hotmail.com

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:59 pm

Jon first the good news .You can build a pin driver by taking a piece HS steel 1.25 inch by18 inches then weld a 1 inch handle on to it at the 6 inch point [from either end just flip it over ]I put a handle bar grip from a bicycle on my pin pusher and this works nice .Start with the short end towards the pin then when it gets moving use the long end to push the pin out .I use an assortment of small blocks to set under this to get it to the right height then get your least favorite friend to hold it steady While you swing the sledge [If you miss its only your least favorite friend .]Now for the bad news ! if you cant adjust up enough then you got to get inside . See if you can find a tech manual to guide you along better step by step . Good luck.Digitup.

trollaj
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by trollaj » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:42 am

Thanks for that digitup...i tried making a wood jig using the same concept as you described, but that didn't work due to my poor accuracy with a BFH...i'll switch to a steel jig like you suggested.

I had no luck searching ebay and Amazon for a used technical manual, i guess i just hafta break down and go thru the JD dealer.

Thanks again for the help..
Jon
JD 450 (straight 450)
trollaj@hotmail.com

670johndeere
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by 670johndeere » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:36 pm

You can go to John Deere . com, and purchase a download version of the manual. That's what I did and you don't have to wait. Now you can purchase either a paper copy or DVD, but I went with the download because I had it in just a few minutes. Also you will want to get yourself a JD 7 clutch gauge , you need it to set the cluth properly. Lavoy has them , and you can get them from crawler heaven from E-bay. The final removal isn't that bad, just a little time consuming, and dealing with heavy parts. Good Luck.
Diehard John Deere Man