JD 450 overheating problem

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
trollaj
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 450 overheating problem

Post by trollaj » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Guys,
I can't figure out why this dozer keeps overheating and running up to 220 degrees (190 degrees seems normal). It got soo hot once that i had to replace the rings and head gasket (all else looks good). I replaced the thermostat with a 195 degree open, i cleaned out the radiator fins, flushed it, and added new JD antifreeze...the problem persists!

These Tennessee days have been hot (100+ degrees), but i only operate it in the morning and just before sundown (80-90 degrees).

The dozer doesn't have an overflow reservoir...should it? Its a Straight 450.
Jon
JD 450 (straight 450)
trollaj@hotmail.com

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:33 pm

Check your pressure of the cooling system 10-12 lbs of pressure makes a big difference with your system capability.And a bad rad cap will over heat you fast .If all else fails try flushing the block and reinstall Diesel antifreeze only.Check that the thermostat is in proper direction and rad cores are good and open .Digitup.

jboettcher
40C crawler
40C crawler

Overheating

Post by jboettcher » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:44 am

Sir
Pull the radiator and take it in to be re-done. The guts or more than likely
full of build up. Take water pump off and check the impeller. Don't take anymore changes of destroying your engine.

Myassitis From Missouri

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:29 pm

One of the biggest problems for the little Deeres is a block full of crap and it will over heat every time . If your rad is full of crap then your block will be filled up with it as well check both. The early 450s -450Bs and 450Cs just did not have a big enough rad in them as far as I am concerned.We owned a lot of them and they all got hot fast when you work them hard .In my area the humidity is the big killer .We may only have a few real hot days but humid air dose not go through a rad at all .Pushing air like this is looking for trouble and pulling air through is slow at best ,Not to forget it is darned hard on the operator .Blasting air on him on a hot as hell day is not the answer .I think the engine rad is just too small .Also in hot weather and I would not trust a Deere temp gauge much .When you hit the red line your motor can be cooked.The 450Ds and 550s had a lot more rad and dual thermostats and worked fine so just don't push it to hard .Like I said before they are getting old so don't push them too hard and even less in the hot weather .Watch that gauge and don't go to the red line .That was for when they were new and they ain't new any more !.Digitup.

trollaj
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 450 overheating system and steering clutch feedback

Post by trollaj » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:02 pm

That's great feedback guys...i appreciate all the comments!

I think i'll try flushing it one more time and put in the JD Radiator fluid again (the good stuff). If that fails, i might consider buying/replacing the radiator...
But like you said, its old, it's done its job...it was in its prime when i was just a twinkle in the eye; I can respect that...

And get this...the reason my steering clutch plates wore out prematurely is because of the last maldune who owned the dozer only installed 14 plates when 15 is required (7 steel and 8 fiber).

To share a lesson learned with everyone is due the pain and suffering getting to the clutches...ensure you replace the fiber plates with the new and improved heavy duty plates in order to prevent that from happening sooner than needed...and ensure there's 15 total plates!!!
Jon
JD 450 (straight 450)
trollaj@hotmail.com

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:22 pm

In the early days of my John Deere experiences the old guys would put an extra steel face in the clutch when it wore out .But to take one out now there is trouble.I remember putting an extra steel face in both sides on the 450 and 450B dozers .They would be good for 3000 hours before any problems .Then replace everything in the clutch pack after that . We usually did this when we replaced the tracks .But I only remember doing this two or three times .Digitup.