450C - New Owner

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Farmboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

450C - New Owner

Post by Farmboy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:01 pm

I just discovered this forum and appreciate the information. I have a couple of questions that I wonder if anyone could share some experience on.

I have recently purchased a 450C dozer with 6 way blade for general farm use - cleaning up fence rows, maybe a small pond, etc.

I've changed all the fluids and filters and am working or re-packing one leaking swing cylinder before putting her to work to see what I've got.

Upon changing the transmission screen, I found what seems to be a steel fastener head - about 3/4" round by 3/16" thick - looks like broken off a stud. I've studied the parts book and thought it might be a hub to ring gear rivet but when you go to the deere website to get info on it, it shows it with a tapered head.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be and - more importantly, is it advisable to go ahead and work the machine? Or am I crazy no to do exploratory surgery?

Also, I bought pins and bushings for the rear of the swing cylinder arms but upon removing the cylinder, I see that the holes in the frame are elongated. Can the holes be built up some how to take the slop out?

Any information much appreciated.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:49 am

I think something fell in the trany fill pipe as nothing inside at that description.So run it and watch the functions .Do you have a trans pressure gauge on the dash .If you have one the make sure that pressure is good even when its worm .As for your swing cylinder are you referring to the angle cylenders these can be re bushing or bored and re bushed .Digitup.

Farmboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Farmboy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, Digitup. No pressure gage. We'll run her and see how it goes.

Bushings will be no help on these holes. Looks like 1/4" of play. Could you please elaborate on the boring out. Do you go oversize?

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:11 pm

Yes it is called line boring and that slop in the pin can ruin the cast end on the ram if is left go to long so look into it .Digitup.

Farmboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Farmboy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:21 am

Thanks again, Digitup.

I've done some searching and already emailed a local guy for a quote.