550 trans

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
OneWelder
420 crawler
420 crawler

550 trans

Post by OneWelder » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:27 pm

a friend has an early JD 550
it has seen no service in its life time to speak of.
The trans was full of water,or had at least 5 gals. in it
drained and flushed rear , steering comp.,trans and filter
also took plt. off rt. side and blew fuel through suction screen.
steering clutches and brakes worn out also.

Problem is that when changing direction the machine may take off normally, or may hardly move.
might work properly 5 or 6 times, miss once, work, then work not properly a few times - there is no consistency

if anybody has experience on these,and could save some time i would appreciate it

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:43 am

The shifter valve probably has something in it and is creating a hit and miss in the shifting.I have had my 550 and 550B both apart in the trany but no longer have the repair books.However Jim Boettcher on here dose have them. And I am sure that he will share the info with you .To find him it is jboettcher on here good luck and really worm that unit up to flush out all the water .I use what is called a pigmillion cloth to take water off the top of oil .Works great if you get the right one.One absorbs water the other one absorbs petroliem only so you got to get the right one.If you get the other one then roll it up stick it in your rad and it will take the oil scum out of it in seconds . they are both handy to have .Digitup.