Track Lubrication

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mark McKeown
MC crawler
MC crawler

Track Lubrication

Post by Mark McKeown » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:52 am

This question has probably been asked 500 times but a search brought up nothing. How do you lubricate the tracks on a 350 using the strange grease fittings? Can or should you put zerk fittings on or are there adapters or what? The ones on my dozer have plastic covers on them that are still there. Thanks,

Mark

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi,

There's a fitting for the end of the hose on a grease gun that fits those button heads. I think one can get them at a NAPA store. You use a fairly runny lube in the rollers, too, not chassis grease. Most folks use JD Corn Head grease these days, although SAE 140 gear lube works as well.

You also can replace the button head fittings with zerks, although they sometimes tend to get damaged while using the crawler. My 420 has zerks on it, and once in a while I'll scrunch one, usually when working in a ditch and the side of the track frame winds up riding along the side of the ditch....

Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you put a little lube in fairly often. The seals in the rollers tend to let the lube out as they're designed more to keep dirt out than to keep the lube in. The biggest problem most crawlers run into is that they don't get enough lube in the rollers.....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)