450C Carrier Rollers / Lube

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Farmboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

450C Carrier Rollers / Lube

Post by Farmboy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:21 pm

Would appreciate advice on two questions:

Upon removing the lubrication plugs on the carrier rollers, it looks like there is old grease inside. My manual calls for SAE 30 oil in the carrier rollers. Seems kind of light and I'm concerned it will just run out. Should I stick with the manual or would something like gear oil be better?

Secondly, some of the rollers have been turned "backward" ie: the lube ports are on the inside instead of outside. I'm curious if there is a common reason for this to have been done?

Any thoughts appreciated!

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:23 pm

I have used a light grease .Replace plug with a grease fitting [button fitting if you can service it ]and grease often with three pumps at a time .If with your bottom rollers the plugs are on the inside they really shouldn't be that way .They should be toward the outside .My local dealer replaced the undercarriage on my 550H last year and put some rollers on backwards .I insisted that these be turned around before it even hit the dirt . Service manager was not to sure if they even even needed to be turned but I won out when I told them you cant even tell if the plugs would leak on the inside .These should always be on the outside but that is a good project for a rainy day if it is in the shop .Digitup.

Farmboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Farmboy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:26 am

Thank you, Digitup.

I worked on cleaning out and loosening the ones turned to the inside last night. What a pain. Hard to believe someone would be so careless as to mount them turned in.

The light grease makes sense. I did the oil in the grease gun thing and I can see it's going to be a mess. I'll see if I can find the button fittings.