JD 450 questions

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
mc_mike
430 crawler
430 crawler

JD 450 questions

Post by mc_mike » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Looking for some information on a John Deere 450. I believe the plain 450 was made from 1965 to 1970, then it became a 450B? Does the standard 450 have dry steering clutches? How difficult are they to replace? I have replaced a couple sets on a 420, but the 450 looks like a different animal. Were there different engine and transmission configurations used? Anything specifically to look out for when buying one? Any idea on weight, hp, and lifting capacity of the crawler loader? Are new undercarriage parts available for a 450? Thanks for any info.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:04 am

Hi Mike-

I don't have personal experience with the 450s, but I have posted a link in the "Web Links" forum on this site that has specification sheets for the 450 crawler. The spec sheets (PDF format) have HP, weights, and other manufacturers information such as options for this machine.

To make it easy, here is the direct link to the spec sheet (1969 Model 450):

http://www.murphyused.com/images/specs/111.pdf

Others will weigh in, but I believe you are correct concerning years of manufacture and that the 450Bs (at least early and mid serial numbers) were "dry" clutch machines. I also believe from what I have read that the 450Bs are non-turbo engines.

As with any tractor, you want to look over and test the major components (engine, transmission). Undercarriage has good availability (as compared to my 2010) from my understanding, but you will want to inspect it thoroughly as it is a big ticket item to replace. Again, I have psted some undercarriage inspection info in the "Web Links" forum.

Guys like Digitup can give you specifics to look at on the 450; your best bet is to take along someone knowledgeable about cralwers that can point out all the flaws so you can make an informed purchase.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:24 pm

Yes you really have to be there and see the unit . I have not bought any thing crawler wise that I took someone's word for it . Look at crawlers with good undercarriage late model units .Ask questions .They haven't changed much shape wise over the years so look at newer ones and see the track wear and hours on the crawler s . Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions .These only confuse stupid people!.As has been said before on here the tracks are biggest dollar items so good tracks are the first step.And 450Cs started the turbo build and wet clutches.I my self have not found a part Deere don't have for the 450 series .But apparently in the early 450s you will be going to the wreckers or jobbers for a few of the parts as Deere is Discontinuing some .Just ask Lavoy for parts if you really get stuck.Digitup.