my new 350 toy

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
hodges
MC crawler
MC crawler

my new 350 toy

Post by hodges » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:22 pm

Hey everybody!
I just purchased a new to me JD 350 yesterday. I am trying to find out how old it is, and not having much luck with the JD web site.

After reading some of the old posts on this site, I am really stumped as to what I have, because from what I read the 350 only has one hydraullic control. My machine has 2 controls, but only one of them is active and raises the blade. If I am reading right, this makes my machione a 350B?

There are only 2 numbers I can find stamped in the machine. One is on the engine and reads: T26935. The other number is near the gear shifter and reads: 6T21358T. Neither of these fits the John Deere 13 digit numbering scheme, but for the life of me I cant find any other numbers. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place. If there are other places for me to look, please let me know.

Here are a couple of pictures of the machine, if it will help.

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm really enjoying this new machine and have found that it is doing a really good job for me. Cranks right up and runs all day on little fuel.
Hodges Handcrafted Guitars/ Old Dixie Wood Works

K LeClair
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by K LeClair » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:34 am

Hi.
Nice 350.Your machine is actually an early straight 350 (NOT B).I'm guessing by the serial number you gave that it is around a '68 or '69.Your machine is equipped with an optional auxillary hydraulic valve.This is usually used for implements like a ripper,hydraulic winch,4 in 1 bucket if your machine was a loader,etc.Hope this helps.
1010 Diesel,Crawler loader,Hydraulic Winch
350B Diesel,6-Way Blade

hodges
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hodges » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:03 pm

I finally got the covers off of the 2 side panels today and discovered a label with the number T52130. Does this help with determining the age of the machine?

Next, there is a lever that is at the base of the left hand steering clutch lever. I have no clue what this does. Can anybody tell me?

K LeClair
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by K LeClair » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:12 am

With that part # you are still in the '68-'69 range.Your machine is for sure an early straight 350.The lever you see is to engage a rear PTO.It does not look like you have a PTO shaft on your machine though????
1010 Diesel,Crawler loader,Hydraulic Winch
350B Diesel,6-Way Blade

hodges
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hodges » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:55 am

I have not seen a PTO shaft in the rear of the machine. There is a round coverplate in the lower part of the rear that may be a cover for a PTO, but other than that I havent seen one.

Thanks again for the help!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 am

That is the PTO lever. If you want a PTO, you remove the 3 bolt cover, and install the PTO unit, about a 5 minute job.
Lavoy

hodges
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hodges » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:31 am

Thanks for the info!

The only problems I am having with the machine is that the steering clutches require quite a yank to get them to grab. I am assuming that at some point I will need to replace or adjust the clutches. Also, when the main clutch is pressed, it takes a few seconds before the clutch actually disengages and the machine stops. Of course if you hold back both steering clutches, the machine stops immediately.

A good manual would be a handy thing to have on hand. This is why I am trying to find a serial number on the machine.

Again, thanks so much for the info. It does help.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:23 pm

While cleaning up my floor under the desk today I found the ''book'' [finally] I should give this to someone more responsible than me .Any way this is what it looks like if your s/n is 26935 it would be a 1966 or if your s/n is21358 it would be a 1966 so if either of these is correct s/n it is a 1966 forget 16 digits you need 5 digits from 1964 to 1969 then six digits to the end of 350 Ds.Digitup.

hodges
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by hodges » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:40 pm

Thanks for the info!

I'll try to run down a manual for it sometime in the future. Right now, I have been clearing up the land with it and it is working beautifully.

Thanks again!
Ken