Waking up a JD450 from a long sleep

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Lupusrex
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Lupusrex » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:30 am

Hi

Well I guess this thread is getting better and better judging by all the good ideas that you come up with. The last one certainly appeals to me a lot.
The only drawback I can see if the machine has a leaking hose somewhere.

Anyway I´ll see if I can make the diesel heater work as a "stand alone unit"

The propane heaters that you mentioned are these a genuine JD part or aftermarket and how much do the ususally cost?

BR/Fred

Lupusrex
40C crawler
40C crawler

Engine preheater

Post by Lupusrex » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:34 pm

Well I couldn´t help it but I just stumbled on a piece of old army diesel engine preheater today and bought it. At $14 it was to good to miss.
This one uses an old type of ethanol burner that is placed in front of it with quick connectors that attaches to whatever pipe you´ve got hooked up to the engine.

I´ll see if I can get a picture posted here during the weekend.

BR/Fred

Well here´s the pic´s, I think.....
:?

At $20 it was okay since I´ve already got the ethanol burner that should be in front of it. If I don´t use the propane torch instead.

The only question now is where to put in the T-piece for the quick connectors.

Any ideas??

BR/Fred
Last edited by Lupusrex on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:37 am

If you have a Hot Box or Wedge heater then set it up with large hydraulic quick couplers and good hoses .We have one for the Wolfe plows and never use it .It came on a cart and had its own battery and fuel tank It came with wheels and I changed it over to small skis with tips on both ways to get around neither work worth a darned across a plowed field but skis hold up better and the unit is not that heavy to get around .Worst case two men carry it with ease .We got some severe cold weather up a few years ago and used it to start even our oppositions trucks and equipment .Digitup.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:01 pm

You want to hear on about either When I first got out of school I worked for an Allis Chalmers dealer and was called to a farm in a hell of a hurry one day to look at the intake on a 200 Allis tractor look at this and you will find a large area on the intake manifold that has the Allis Chalmers insignia in it 10 inches long and 2 inches high in the middle of the manifold the police picked me up at the local station and took me out this mess the manifold was blown out right at that thick area and a mans body some 15 feet away catching the guy in the fore head beside the tractor and tossing him some 10 plus feet sending him to some 15 feet away with no tracks at all in the snow He was putting either in to it and the other guy was cranking it over when it just exploded I was told I quickly pointed out to the officer that a safety sticker on the nearly new tractor at that time said DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID and there was an igniter directly inside that center of the manifold.When it blew it cought him in the fore head .He never knew what hit him .Either can be mighty powerfully stuff!!.Digitup.

JdsGrz
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by JdsGrz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:39 pm

I have no idea if this letter will get to the man trying to learn how to start a cold diesel.. Ive put millions of miles on diesels 28 years on the road. in fact 3.7 as of 1988 never wrecked a engine with eather...its the one not knowing what hes doing.. the way its done is crank the engine over till you see a white fogg blasting out the exhaust, then and only then do you give it a small snort in the air filter .or in the case of the john deere. my 350c i used a can over two years to start the engine.when it got to where it did not want to its too cold..its got over 4200 hrs and runs like it did in 73 when it was new. it gets cold here in vermont and I need this tractor when i need it..I WILL NEVER BE WITHOUT A DIESEL ENGINE IN WHATEVER IM DRIVEING.. YES ITS SICK THAT FUEL IS 355 A GAL .JUST MAKES YOU PLAN ON YOUR TRIPS A LITTLE MORE. WHEN I STARTED DRIVEING IN 1960 FOR GULF I PICKED UP OIL IN BOSTON FOR11.3 PER GAL...USE THE STARTING FLUID WISELY AND YOU WILL GET ALONG JUST FINE. THE REASON NOT TO USE THE FLUID UNTILL THE FOGG STARTS IS THE FOGG IS UNBURNED OIL AND THIS IS ALL THE LUBRECATION THE PISTONS NEED TO NOT HAVE A DRY START..GOOD LUCK... greg

Lupusrex
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Lupusrex » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the informative description on how to use the ether. I´ll certainly make sure that I´ve got a well charged battery when doing the start-up operation and keep the ether-puffs to a .5sec short burst.

BR/Fred

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi,

Here's some links to another old tractor site with some pix posted showing an ether-induced heart-attack:

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/gall ... at=trouble

I've seen a lot worse, actually, but these are ugly enough to show what we're talking about here.....

Later!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)