Suggestions for loosening track tension on my 350

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

Suggestions for loosening track tension on my 350

Post by gcgrant » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:49 pm

After doing work on the right steering clutch. the track was tighened back up. It took a fair pressure on the gun to get it to move. It is too tight now and I would like to slack it off a bit. I have taken both the grease fitting and the bolt out and tried bumping the front of the track into a stump. It is still too tight. My mechanic friend suggests just leaving it, saying it will eventually loosen off. Any suggestions would be appreciated....... George

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:44 am

Did you loosen the set screw that is under the bolt down inside the adjuster?
Lavoy

gcgrant
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by gcgrant » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:05 am

Nope! Didn't know there was a set screw there! What type of driver do I need for it and what does the set screw hold? Should the tension ease off if I loosen the screw?
Thanks Lavoy, I really need to get an operators manual!
Hey I just put some operating lights on the 350 so I can plow snow in the dark. Just in time as we are getting our first snow tonight, so far there is about 3 inches. Last year I plowed my driveway a couple of times with a flash light held in my teeth! It sucks not getting home from work in the daylight!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:41 am

The bolt is just a cover to keep dirt out, the set screw is what actually pushes on the ball to seal the grease it. Takes an allen wrench to loosen it up.
Lavoy