350 turbo ?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Farmboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Farmboy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:57 am

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by the "smoke" screw? Is there an adjustment on fuel delivery? (Not to be twiddled with??) Thanks!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:27 am

Yes there is, it is usually locked by a wire with a lead crimp on it, break the wire, void your warranty if it is a new engine. Normally it should only be touched when rebuilding the pump, or sometimes the dealers will do it when they have the machine on a dyno. The more fuel, the more power and black smoke, hence "smoke" screw.
Depending on engine and pump style, you can get some outrageous HP out of some engine. I know a guy years ago that did this to a 4430 John Deere that he wanted to tractor pull with. The tractor is normally rated at 125 PTO HP, he was well past 200 when the PTO clutch started to give up. Needless to say, the tractor would not live long if pulled at that power level consistently.
Many years ago, I was talking to a tractor puller at a local pull. He had a hot rod 4255 John Deere, not much left of it as far as original looking, it was heavily modified in that sense. I asked him about the engine, and it was a bone stock 466 that had had the injectors lasered out, and a pump off of a 619 that had been bored out. He was running just under 4000 RPM, and the black smoke completely obliterated the grand stand when he pulled.
Next guy through had a 1206 IH, same song. He made it half way down the track and ventilated the block when the pistons started melting. The moral of the story is they will make power, but you better have the money to fix stuff when it lets go.
Lavoy

Farmboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Farmboy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:43 am

Thanks, Lavoy.