Interchangable parts for a straight 350?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Blvr
MC crawler
MC crawler

Interchangable parts for a straight 350?

Post by Blvr » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:04 pm

I've got a straight 350. What other models have interchangable parts? Such as the 450? if so, what parts?
Thanks for your replies.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:47 pm

Hi,

Not much on the 450's cross to the 350's, as they're larger than the 350 in all respects (4 cyl vs. 3-cyl and different transmission styles, etc).

There are a lot of parts on the 350B that cross back to the straight 350, at least up until the very end of the 350B production, when they look more like a 350C than a 350 (when the 350B went to wet steering clutches).

You pretty much have to stay within a model number and series range to keep parts interchange. This applies to most things, not just JD crawlers.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Blvr
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Blvr » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Thanks for the information. I've been wondering if much was interchangable for awhile. I'm always lookin for the poor boy solution when it comes to keeping my stuff running.
YIC, blvr

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi,

Yeah, we're all pretty much in the same boat with you in this respect. Just last week, I spyed a set of decent looking JD combine tracks and frames on eBay for $300 and just had to ask if they might fit anything crawler from the Lindemann to the 450. The answer was 'no' but if it had been 'yes' then I was up for bidding accordingly and heading from NC to KS to get them......

Stan

DeereManiac
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DeereManiac » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:07 pm

Ebay can be such a great resource for stuff like that, the problem is when the guys selling the stuff can't answer your questions! :roll:
There are Heavy Equipment Parts and there are Heavy Equipment Parts... either way construction equipment breaks.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:27 am

When looking for parts for your 350series of course engine parts will interchange with the tractor with that motor and the transmission parts will interchange as well I have seven Deere dozers and four Deere excavators as well as two farm tractors and several backhoe models I try to buy the most of my parts at the Deere ag dealer.On one pump alone for a 510C backhoe I saved 4500 $ buying a hydraulic pump for a 8650 tractor instead when I asked the difference they wont tell you but keep the pump pressure regulator screw it is longer then the green one has and takes the pressure up to backhoe status I guess what I am saying is they wont tell you the difference you have to watch but there is a lot more that interchanges than meets the eye .Years ago John Deere published a book on interchange ability of parts but they would not admit to it now .Deere don't even want to fix those little old Deeres now so they wont help you unless you have a fleet of them .Saying that I just got mad enough to put two new Cats in the herd just to piss Deere off . Digitup.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:47 am

Hi,

You are *so* right! Yellow Deere dealers seem to care not about one guy looking for one machine. I went to my local Yellow dealer looking to get a JD350 C or D out of Deere's 'Re-Life' program. The guy didn't know what I was talking about, although I was able to show him on the JD website.

He said he'd look into it for me, but a couple weeks go by and - nothing. I called him and got the old 'forgot about it' line. Well, that happened a couple more times, so I gave up on him.

Now, it's a different story with the Green dealer I use. They'll do what they say they will, and even go the extra step of crossing parts between the Green and Yellow sides. That used to be quite a task on their part, but fortunately that's changed.

Deere had been unhappy with several of their dealers in this area for not selling enough across the line (which is a l-o-n-g rant subject for me, so I'll skip over it and save you from boredom). So, they decided to merge into one larger dealer with eight locations. Two of them are Yellow and the rest are Green, but each location has good sales in certain product areas, so combined they ought to do well across the board and keep Deere happier (if not happy).

Well, they're integrating their computer systems, so any one location can cross what's at (or available thru) the others. Handy. It also means that they're going to be much more like my old family's JD dealership was: Both Green and Yellow.

Or, at least, it looks that way at this point. I might be able to get a renewed JD350D after all. At least I'll have a better chance with these guys than I did with the big Yellow-only dealer.

Later!

Stan

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:37 am

I have had somewhat limited interaction with my local "yellow" dealer, but they have been pretty helpful so far in finding parts for my 2010. I'm sure they haven't been doing me any favors with parts costs of a "green" dealer though.

I have noticed that the parts guys at the "yellow" dealers vary in expertise with regards to older crawlers and some of them can't find anything without a part number, so it really helps to have a parts book and give them specific parts number as opposed to describing the parts.

I'm sure the experiences vary from dealer to dealer and from "yellow" to "green" dealers around the country. I'm sure some of you guys know a lot better than me though; just saying I haven't given up on my "yellow" dealer....yet :wink:
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:00 pm

My big problem is that I have to buy yellow stuff and my yellow dealer will not supply parts books with my new dozers when asked about this they have replied come to us for the parts .Well I have bought Cat lately and an other brand new cat out front of the shop is driving Deere salesman nuts but still no parts book in sight .They don't know it but the laugh is that I got a CD mailed to me from one of the southern yellow dealers that gets me any parts and # info that is needed .But these guys don't know and don't care but they want to make the sale .The sales man brought a form in for me to fill in so I did mention that I bought 1.3 million in Deere dozers from them in the last 7 years and this is halted till I get a dealer that cares for more than his bottom line like MY BOTTOM LINE!! still no reply green dealers would not do this I mentioned to the manager that I had a 1954 40 C he says what is that [We got a winner here ] they don't know where Deere came from or how they got there Think about that !! Should Yellow be where they are today ?.Digitup.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:31 pm

Hey Digitup-

I saw this on the back of one of my operator's/parts manuals from the 60's. Maybe you should print it out and tell the Yellow sales rep that you will come back to them when they can be more like the Yellow dealer that you remember in the past that is on the back cover: :wink:

Wasn't meant as an insult to any past or current dealers on here; just thought it was somewhat ironic given the conversation.
:lol:
Last edited by Tigerhaze on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:31 pm

Oh, I guess I didn't tell you all about when I mentioned to my Yellow sales rep that I needed some parts for my Model 50 backhoe attachment. He asked about how I liked it and I mentioned it did OK for an early 60s model. They kept insisting I must have the model number wrong because the Model 50 was made in the 80s for their smaller tractors and didn't have the 17' reach I told them it had. I told them that there were two Model 50s and that mine was the early 60s version that was on a 2010 crawler loader. I had to end up taking them to their spec sheets on their own website to convince them I knew what I was talking about.

Of course this was a sales rep and not the parts counter guys but it goes to show they don't really know their roots.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:16 am

Deere has built so many different models numbers that cross If we sat down and figured some out it would warp the old mind .Lean across the parts counter and ask for parts for a 850 tractor .See how long it takes for them to ask two cylinder or three cylinder ?.See how awake they are real quick !!.We had problems with a 120 Blc excavator while the parts man was looking up info he mentioned about not seeing the part .This idiot had got into the 120 lawn mower parts !!. I immediately asked him politely if he had a twin brother ? He goes no why did you ask ? [ you can see this one coming cant you ] I told him no one person can be this #$%^ stupid . He hasn't spoke to me since every body else got a laugh and the boss tried to scold me but I told him shame on you for finding some one with this little ability to represent your business. He will know better next time and the service guy that was out told me that they just hired his twin brother .He is not living that one down to quick .Digitup

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:23 am

My next door neighbor happened to mention to a friend of his that works at a yellow dealer that I had a 1010 ag sitting in the shop. The guy told him that it was impossible because Deere never made the 1010 in an ag version. Now, the neighbor knows full well that it is an ag, not an industrial, but this idiot would not believe him. I told the neighbor to tell the guy to put a thousand dollars cash where his mouth was and then bring him out here. He wouldn't do it, but I wish he had.
Lavoy

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:24 pm

I have noticed that with Deere and Cat .Neither remember where the roots originated.But some guts actually ask questions and are getting more interested I got an old time contractor up here in a little Butcrackville [no I wont name the town]that has forty acres of old cats and wont sell a thing .Ontario's exclusive Cat dealer Toromont have just recognized that he has these old Cat s The big boys are sniffing around but he wont budge .The manager in London asked me how to approach this .I told him watch the obituaries in the local paper .Two months ago I went with Graham to the farm and he told me to clean up the John Deere stuff .I should have got my but in gear a little earlier now there is two feet of snow on it .He has two sets of two bolt tracks there that the skids under them are rotting into the ground .I have two drainage jobs in the spring in that area and will take the backhoe over and get them and a small float load of JD stuff but I don't want to push my luck on any more .There is so much stuff there that you can see it on GOOGLE EARTH if you know where to look !Yes you could see it on the old computer tonight[But I wont give out the coordinates or there will be nothing left in the spring] .So till the antique crawler fad really hits it is up to guys like you to keep them going .Digitup.