backhoe attachment

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Farmerford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Farmerford » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:39 am

Thanks to all of you for the info on the various JD Backhoes. Before I joined this board I bought a JD455D with a rotary vane swing motor backhoe. This was not the backhoe that came with the 455D (so I was told), but one that the dealer bought separately.

The backhoe is in pretty good shape. No bent parts or welds, although some of the pins need replacing. I replaced the tapered pins on the ends of the strut that attaches the swing motor to the frame. The swing motor does not leak, and seems to work fine for the limited work I do around a small country place.

Do you have any recommendations for taking care of the swing motor? I change the fluid on schedule.

The shop manual indicates that the wear parts in the motor are the seals and backups that fit into the slots in the shaft vane and case vane. From your discussions it seems these are no longer available. Are they so unusual or precise that you can't make do with something close? Or are there bigger problems with the vanes themselves, case seals, etc. that can't be fixed?

Thanks again for all the good information you put on the board. With your help I have adjusted the HLR and main clutch, and I plan next to replace the plastic ring in the injection pump. The engine uses no oil to speak of, and the loader is reasonably tight. I suspect the machine has between 5,000 and 10,000 hours, but that is just a guess.

Thanks Again.
Farmerford
Columbus, Georgia