JD 550 Steering Question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
354d
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 550 Steering Question

Post by 354d » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi, question from a new comer. I have a straight 550 that has a steering problem. Turning to the right, the right track slows down or stops depending on how far I pull the lever. Turning to the left however, the track never fully stops, so I get a slow gradual turn to the left. I have tried adjusting the spool valves on the left side according to the service manual. I guess my question is what happens first, does the spool valve stop the flow of oil to one side, and then the brake band kicks in, or do they both act at the same time? Does it sound like the brake band is not kicking in, or the spool valve is not adjusted correctly? Thanks in advance.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Do not tuch the valve you adjust the clutch break adjustment down at the other end of the shaft .The valve should NOT be tampered with in any way .Those little slave valves never work right after and there is adjustment but you do not want to play with that as you get out of wack on both ends of the rod and it will never steer right.Can you set to origional setting then go to the other end of the rod .Playing with that end handycaps movement or stroke at the other end and they will bind when the piston inside is pressured to top or bottom of stroke .Go inside and adjust the clutch release not the break you adjust the break only if the clutch is not releasing .The auto adjust should be working on a 550 .If you baby a 550 they will go out of wack You need to figure out if the clutch is out of adjustment or the shaft is siezing up .You have to let the leavers slam back as the pins in the steering leaver may be siezing up .To adjust under power or under load .Find a stump or a least favorite tree .Put the blade into it and drive into it slowly .If the clutch slips adjust it up .If both tracks spin then your break is out of adjustment so set it up tighter.They are just a bit different than the 450Ds of that day . Digitup.

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:44 pm

this is a real nice clutch to adjust loosen lock nuts by eye on end of spool--under seat--with steering lever on stop on floor plate--adj. eye so spool just bottoms in it's bore--be sure it don't try pushing handel down hard on stop--do both sides the same---take out plug just over tracks 3/4 square drive turn self adjuster ( the way it turns easy ) until you can't turn it anymore (not a lot of force just eazy until it stops) back it off about 3 clicks this is the way it turns hard has to jump over self adj and your done--if self adj. wont turn and already seems tight brake bands and drums could be worn out have fun Randy a field of deeres

DougW
MC crawler
MC crawler

550 brakes/Clutchs

Post by DougW » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:17 pm

I'm new at this forum. With that said I apologize if I offend anyone or am clumsy at first. Our newly acquired 550 was operating great and then:
The left brake pedal got weak after running for 2 hours and then went to floor with no resistance. The machine will not turn left. I Followed a previous thread, that I was following and pushed on a very large tree, both tracks spun with power. The right brake/clutch works fine. the linkage all moves freely, I pulled the adjustment plug and tried to adjust the wheel. The machine ran ok for about an hour, then pedal to floor. What should I look for next? Please help!
Seek first to understand.