JD350 dozer shifter is sloppy

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bdcz
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD350 dozer shifter is sloppy

Post by bdcz » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:47 pm

I posted this a week or so ago and had some responses but I can't find the post anymore. Did I do something wrong. Anyway, I have a 350 crawler with 4 speed forward and I think 1 speed reverse. I have the hydraulic reverser as well. My problem is that the shifter lever is very sloppy and hard to find gears. I have no trouble staying in gear once I'm there. Can anyone tell me whether this is likely to be an involved expensive fix or will it be easy. I'm just wanting to know what I'm getting in to before I open her up. Thanks, this is a great site.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:57 pm

It is hard to tell if it is the shift linkage or the iner colars or some thing else .If you have a old early 350 with a trany top shifter it will maybe be the forks or fork pins that are the problem .Digitup.

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:42 pm

check the top of shift tower--where shift lever goes in it could be the pins have worked out or worn out witch ever pin # are M1970T up to s.n.42497 and T26277 for s.n42498 and up. if that is the problem it's an easy fix. Sometimes groves in shift lever is warn which can be welded up an ground back into shape have fun Randy

bdcz
420 crawler
420 crawler

Sloppy shifter

Post by bdcz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:52 am

Thanks for the feedback. My shifter is mounted to a cover on top the tranny right under the seat. According to the manual when it is removed everything comes off with the cover including the shift yokes. At which point I'd be looking right down into the tranny at the gears and shift collars. I'm hoping it's not the yokes or collars. Doesn't seem like that would be the problem since it does shift once you find the gear you want and it does stay in gear. Seems like there is something real sloppy between the shift lever and collars. I guess I'll find out. You guys are great, thanks.

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:40 am

you don't have to remove cover to take shift lever out--take rubber boot off that is around lever where it goes through top cover--remove snap ring and pull lever up out--put tranny in N before taking it out--pins are in top of housing groves are in shift lever have fun Randy my 40C has the same problem houseing is worn where pins go makes it hard to find gears