350B reverser won't engage until machine has warmed up

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rheffington
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by rheffington » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:04 pm

Hey guys- new to the sight and the Deere, but likin both. Have read all posts related to reversers with nothing quite matching this. My machine will not move (reverser does nothing) until the machine has warmed up 5-10 min at fast idle, and then the machine will decide to jump to life and be good to go the rest of the day. Any ideas?

Much appreciate the time you guys take to give informative replies.

Blessings!

Roger
Blessings!
Roger :)
JD 350-B w/ back hoe NEWBIE

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:32 am

need a little more info. is this in cold weather or all the time??
any way place to start is pull filter screen clean take note of what kind of stuff is stuck on that screen My guess is a clean screen and new Jd tran. oil will fix problem have fun Randy it's a deere morning

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:46 am

new filter # AT15088

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:22 am

I would suspect that you are not getting enough transmission oil pressure right off the start . Do not leave the unit in gear till it worms up as you will be sliping the multi plate clutch .Check to see you have the right oil in it and your oil is at the right level.There should be a test port on that trans if it was a 350 D it would have one but I haven't done much with a 350B for years and there should be a plug on the transmission you unscrew and install a test guage . I just did my latest endever a D4hIII and the specks were looking for at least 200 to 220 lbs pressure in 15 seconds right off idleing engine start .I know that is a Cat and this is a Deere but they are very simaler in this area and pressure needed for proper enguagement .Look up the pressure needed as I deal with too many pressure specks in a day .but you need oil pressure to the power shift unit and what is happening is it is not getting enough to compress the plates and steels together at this time .keep in tuch .Digitup.

rheffington
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by rheffington » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestions- I have a new filter and plan on changing all fluids before tackling anything significant. Will check pressure as well and get back--- hopefully with good news.

Thanks a bunch
Blessings!
Roger :)
JD 350-B w/ back hoe NEWBIE

jdemaris

Re: 350B reverser won't engage until machine has warmed up

Post by jdemaris » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:42 pm

rheffington wrote: My machine will not move (reverser does nothing) until the machine has warmed up 5-10 min at fast idle, and then the machine will decide to jump to life and be good to go the rest of the day. Any ideas?
Besides the other things already posted, those reversers will do that when they have a lot of internal wear. Best you can do is have good oil it. make sure lube and clutch pressure is good, make sure the clutch-pedal arm on the control valve has no dirt stuck behind it and the return spring is still good, and make sure the rate-of-shift screw is adjusted right.
On worn machines, opening it up a bit sometimes helps.