JD 350B

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cowdogpete
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350B

Post by Cowdogpete » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm

I've read through the posts here but still am not understanding an issue my crawler has.

The left side track on my 350b does not seem to get power.
Whether I am going forward or backward, if I pull on the left stick, the dozer responds as it should. IF I pull on the right the dozer stops. It seems that the right track stops but the left does not push.

I have also discovered when on a steep incline the dozer has a tendency to push itself to the left, again as if only the right track is driving.

From sone of the posts here it seem it could be an adjustment to the hydraulics, possiblly the steering clutches or even the final drive.

What is your analysis?

Thanks.

Cowdogpete
Bosque County, TX

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:41 pm

My guess would be the left steeting clutch has lost all it's free play or broken all the drive teeth off fiber disk. The only hyd. to a B steering clutch is for power assist to make the levers pull easer-- check free play and adj--if throw out bearing is clearing pressure plate and it still slips its more than likly in the steering clutch maybe worn out disk or broken
have fun Randy

pdmech08

Post by pdmech08 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:56 am

I believe Randy is right. You have a problem with the left clutch assy. not driving. Could be oil soaked from leaky final or ring and pinion seals. Could be stripped teeth on fiber discs. Or could be weak pressure plate. These are some of the most common failures. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

dale
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dale » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:46 am

I'm having very similar problems with mine. After fooling with adjustments and ......coming to the conclusion that my brakes are bad. If I put the machine up to something not easily moved, I can make both tracks spin. Pulling on the left steering lever, the left track will stop spinning. Pulling on the right lever stops the right track. Pushing on the brake pedal only will slow down the right track. Normal use, will only "steer" to the right.
Pulled the drain plugs Saturday and after inserting a screwdriver to open the drains, got about a quart of brown mucky "stuff" out of the left side :shock:

Procrastinating now looking for a better answer than de-tracking, removing the FOPS and backhoe mounts, removing the finals..... :cry: Do I have to remove the rock guards too?

pdmech08

Post by pdmech08 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:12 am

Dale: I responded to your PM not sure if it went through though. Let me know.

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:38 pm

just an idea i belive the left brake needs proper adj I would do both sides--sounds to me like accuator screw on left side has backed out --broke off or been adj.wrong way If both tracks spin under load clutches must be ok foot brake has seperate adj under floor plate up by bell housing-- rod and cleves on each side-- brake bands may need proper adj. also turn adj. bolt in until it comes tight --this will be when it is comming up out of a detent--turn it back into that detent then go one more detent (service bulletin field adj. used brake band ) water in steering clutch housing not good but no always a killer be sure top covers are on right way and sealed have fun Randy

dale
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dale » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:08 am

Did all adjustments per Operators manual OMT46859 E4, pgs. 62-64 and Technical manual 1032 (01Jun80) section 25-5.

Are these not accurate? I have zero skills on a tracked machine, but am a fairly competent mechanic otherwise (A&P cert) and love tearing stuff apart to see how it works. But, if there's a better way to do it, or a "field repair" that's not in the book, I do welcome suggestions and opinions.
The shop fridge is usually well stocked. So, if someone would like to stop by and show me what I'm doing wrong, that option is always open too. I really enjoy watching and learning from others too.

rjamesh2008
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by rjamesh2008 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:52 pm

i am having the exact same problem with my 350b ,, left track doesn't pull like the right one does so not sure which way to go from there ,, hey fellas ,, when you mean the actuater screw is that on the main pump in between the frame and gear case ??? we always like the expertise from others with the same problems ,, but my question is the book calls for the adjustment on the brake bands and steering clutches which is pretty darn simple and a quick three minute job when you do it enough times ,,
john deere 350 b,, 89' cat e110b excavator,,, and the badest 71' ford 700 dump truck

pdmech08

Post by pdmech08 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:53 am

Dale:
I beleieve you are in for a new brake band. At least one anyway. Once oil soaked they're not much good.

rjamesh:
The actuator screw everyone is referring to is inside the steering clutch housing. You access it from the top. Not exactly sure what you mean when you say "left track doesn't pull like the right ". I assume this to mean that the track will stop turning if put under load. If this is the case then I believe you may be looking at a steering clutch overhaul. The clutch is probably slipping. First make sure you have free travel between the T/O brg. and the pressure plate fingers.

dale
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dale » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 am

Probably, but procrastination may pay off. Moved the Case 580E over to remove the ROPS/FOPS and it started raining. Still raining this morning and it's zero fun to work in the rain. Until I get the Rops off, it won't fit inside and I get a lazy day or two out of the deal. :lol: