450A Steering Brake Replacement

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ponddigger
MC crawler
MC crawler

450A Steering Brake Replacement

Post by ponddigger » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:45 am

I have a 450A that has served me well for the past 5 years. It is beginning to show its age and the right steering brake has no further adjustment left. I have had a John Deere dealer provide me an estimate for replacement of this brake band, but the cost is extreme.

Has anyone replaced a brake band on a dry clutch machine such as mine? I think that includes 450, 450A, and 450B. If so, can you tell me your experiences. Can this be done from the top, or must you remove the track? Where did you buy the parts? Did you encounter anything that really gave you fits?

Thank you to anyone who can offer advice.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:18 pm

If you don't already have it, get a factory service manual, and parts manual, that will maket things a lot easier. If you decide to do it yourself, I have the parts.
Lavoy

pdmech08

Post by pdmech08 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:27 pm

ponddigger: The bands can be removed from the top. The fuel tank, hyd. tank or bat. box has to be removed depending on which side you are working on. Then a cast cover on top is removed exposing clutch and brake assy. It should have a 2 pc band that can be removed without pulling the clutch. Difficulties?? There are always difficulties. Once in a while you'll run into frozen pins in the linkage. Support springs are sometimes difficult to get back on. You'll understand once you get into it. Actually not a bad job all in all. We have done many of these. As Lavoy says "Get a manual". There are adjustment procedures that need to be done right to assure the life of the bands. Good Luck. Steve

ponddigger
MC crawler
MC crawler

One Piece Brake Bands

Post by ponddigger » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:50 am

Hi......

Just a question. If I have one piece brake bands now, can I replace them with two piece? I can imagine getting the one piece out from the top, but I cannot imagine getting a one piece in from the top without damage.

jdemaris

Re: One Piece Brake Bands

Post by jdemaris » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:41 pm

ponddigger wrote:Hi......

Just a question. If I have one piece brake bands now, can I replace them with two piece? I can imagine getting the one piece out from the top, but I cannot imagine getting a one piece in from the top without damage.
If you have to, the clutch pack and band comes out the top without removing the final drive - as you'd have to do with a 350. 450 is setup more like an Allis Chalmers crawler in that regard.