filling the void..

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Hartlyboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

filling the void..

Post by Hartlyboy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:37 pm

I found out my new toy is a 1975 450C. As I do with all 'new' stuff I get , I drain all the fluids and put in fresh. Did this with the tranny and steering clutches on this one and almost wish I hadn't. Nasty stuff came out including a couple gallons of water. Since it moved pretty well before I bought it, I guess it's worth investing in the HyGard to see if it will work with new fluid. The capacities chart the Deere guy gave me said the tranny took 8 gallons and each steering clutch took 7 gallons -whew!

All I found on the bottom to drain things were 3 plugs, one on each clutch housing and another on the right side of the tranny bottom. Did I miss any? I also see only the opening for the tranny dip tube to add fluid . Do the stering clutches need to be filled individually somehow or do they all get their juice from a common resevoir? Really looking forward to getting a manual on this baby. {Might need it to rebuild some clutch packs...}

Thanks for any insight yolu can share with me in the meantime.

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:09 pm

There are two pluges in the bottom of steering clutch housings be sure you get the lowest one's--Makes me wonder how that much water got in there check seal on test port cover between steering clutch handles and replace trans filter in front of rad.
filling tranny and steering clutch through dip stick tube is slow and takes time for oil to run through bearings be sure to check after it sets for awhile just to be sure it's full have fun Randy

Hartlyboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Hartlyboy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Well, after draining the gunk out , I started refilling and when I got to 10 gallons , the tranny fill tube was full so I decided to run the pump for a bit to start circulating the new oil. Unfortunately when I let the clutch out now and engage a gear , nothing happens. It doesn't move. Probably no oil has gotten to the clutches yet but I'd think it should still move even if it doesn't steer well. Is there a bleed valve somewhere I should be opening to get the tranny working?