Generic question - making bushings on crawlers, backhoes,etc

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jdemaris

Generic question - making bushings on crawlers, backhoes,etc

Post by jdemaris » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:56 pm

My question is not John Deere specific, although I'm working on a Deere 9250A backhoe at the moment.

Does anybody know of a good source for steel bushing stock? It's somtimes called "bushing stock", sometimes called "structural steel tubing", etc.

One example. My Deere bucket has many 1 1/2" ID pinholes that were fabricated from some sort of heavy-wall steel tubing - cut off in slices and welded on. 1 1/2" ID and 2 7/8" OD. If I had a length of this material, I could saw off new bushings and weld them on - to tighten up the bucket. I thing many rod-ends on hydraulic cylinders are made the same way.

I've tried my usually sources, e.g. Enco, MSC, Mcmaster-Car, etc. and didn't find much. Closest thing is with McMaster -they have lengths of heavy-wall structural steel - 1 1/2" ID and 2 1/2" OD. $60 per foot.

dale
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dale » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:59 pm

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. But . . . I just tried those links and don't find anything. Thickest wall pipe they show with a 1 1/2" ID is 3/8". Most of the Deere and Case stuff I'm working on uses 1 1/2" ID with a 5/8" wall thickness and I'm trying to find something close. Macmaster-car still seems to be the closest with some 1/2" wall pipe (1 1/2" ID and 2 1/2" OD).

I notice the same stuff has been used OEM on my Case, Ford, Allis Chalmers, and Deere buckets - so it must be commonly available somewhere. But, maybe it has to be bought in bulk?

rjamesh2008
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by rjamesh2008 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:44 pm

hey steve we used alot of demagnitized drill pipe to make alot of things that we had wanted,, with a good lathe we did lots of things,,, down here we are paying right at 15 for a 30 ft joint of pipe ,,, most of it is right at 7/16ths thick alot of room for cutting ,,, hope this helps if you have access rocky
john deere 350 b,, 89' cat e110b excavator,,, and the badest 71' ford 700 dump truck

mailtrain
430 crawler
430 crawler

bushings

Post by mailtrain » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi JD, See if you can find schedule 80 heavy wall pipe that is used for steam,ithas a thicker wall and is usually seamless. Just a thought.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:28 pm

I get it here from a local machine shop, he normally has it in 20 foot sticks and just cuts me what I need. If you strike out, let me know what diameters you need and how long, I can have him cut some.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:17 pm

There's a place here in Milwaukee called Speedy Metals that does a brisk mail order business. I've gotten most of the steel for my projects from them. All the race car guys around here use them for any tube you can imagine. Web site listed below. Good guys.

http://www.speedymetals.com/

Bill
Bill Wattson

dale
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dale » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:51 am

jdemaris wrote: But . . . I just tried those links and don't find anything.
Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM) tubing is available in 2 7/8 x .625 x 1.625 (5/8 guage, weighs 15.02 pounds per foot)

You must have missed the disclaimers.

Items listed online do not cover our entire inventory.
Prices listed are based on small quantity online purchases only.
Please contact us with local, larger quantity, or hard to find item inquiries.

gt4074
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by gt4074 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:00 am

Another place you can try is www.metalexpress.net I looked at there site and they have C1026 DOM that is 2.75 OD x .625 wall and 3" OD x .75 wall. Each of these will give you the 1.5" ID and get you close on the O.D.
gt4074

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:02 am

Lavoy wrote:I get it here from a local machine shop, he normally has it in 20 foot sticks and just cuts me what I need. If you strike out, let me know what diameters you need and how long, I can have him cut some.
Lavoy
Thanks - I might have to do that. The local steel yard can order the stuff in for me - but minimum is 20 feet at $900 each. Since I'm not running a fabrication shop - it's too much for me. I'm trying to find a place that stocks the tubing and is willing to cut off pieces and sell in small quantities. Even if they double the price per foot - it's well worth it - especially since I often need various sizes. Deere Co. used to sell some of it by part # - but no more.

Zimmerman's Cletrac in Pennsylvania specializes in small Cletrac and Oliver crawlers and sells cut-offs in any lengths - but his stuff only goes up to 1 1 /4" ID. I've got some stuff here now that needs 1 1/2" ID and 1 3/4" ID.

This happens to me once or twice a year. I get some bucket or hoe I have to fix - I go nuts trying to get the right material - then do without it and kind of forget until the next repair comes up. Then I get mad at myself for not finding the stuff previously and having it here. Last Deere dealership I worked at - we had a large inventory of track pins and bushings. We used to fish through them, cut them down, and use them for fixing many odd-ball joints in loaders and backhoes. But - I don't have that luxury anymore - nobody near me stocks anything like that.

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:48 am

gt4074 wrote:Another place you can try is www.metalexpress.net I looked at there site and they have C1026 DOM that is 2.75 OD x .625 wall and 3" OD x .75 wall. Each of these will give you the 1.5" ID and get you close on the O.D.
Thanks - that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Farmerford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Farmerford » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:15 am

I have bought quite a bit from MetalExpress. I usually find that the ID is a few thousandths smaller than the predicted size (OD minus twice wall thickness). A few passes with an adjustable size cylinder hone results in a snug fit.
Farmerford
Columbus, Georgia