350A reverser lockup

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
andyjd350
MC crawler
MC crawler

350A reverser lockup

Post by andyjd350 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:55 pm

For some time my 350A's reverser has been showing signs of being tired.
First the forward drive went, it pulls slightly but not enough to do
any work. Makes a few rattling sounds as it goes. I'm assuming clutch pack gone.

So as I'm building a house I didn't want to get into rebuilding the
reverser etc. so I got by by changing gear, 4 reverse and 1 forward
... with occasional drag changing gear but not often.

Today whilst doing some light work suddenly I couldn't get it in gear
and the only way was to switch off and start up. But with the reverser
in Neutral it took off, and did so in the forward direction. So I
switched off and put the gears in neutral, reverser in neutral. Then
when I put the reverser into reverse, gearbox still in neutral it
stalled the engine.

With the reverser in neutral I can start and move off but the clutch
doesn't work i.e. like my foot is off the pedal.

So I guess I should check the hyd pressures filter linkages etc. but I'm
posting now in case anyone thinks that the reverser is shot for sure
and hence will have to come out - or else has an explanation of what's
happening.

Thanks

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:35 pm

You could have a drive clutch going out of it ,Check to see if your drive clutch is leting go and then check your power shift pressure .Digitup.

jdemaris

Re: 350A reverser lockup

Post by jdemaris » Fri May 16, 2008 6:55 am

andyjd350 wrote:
I didn't want to get into rebuilding the
reverser etc. so I got by by changing gear, 4 reverse and 1 forward
... with occasional drag changing gear but not often.
This is a repeat of the reply I gave you at the other forum you posted in.

Sounds like you have a big ,expensive mess. Using it with the reverser in "reverse" all the time, with the gear-trans in "reverse" - to work in forward direction - is a bad idea. The hydraulic reverser is much weaker in "reverse" position - especially earlier 350s. That because the input shaft has to turn counter to the output shaft, and the early machines have a small, inadequate counter-bearing between them. With the mid-range 350Bs, it got beefed up a bit with a different front drum, shaft, and larger bearing assembly.
You've got burned clutch packs, and perhaps two shafts that have virtually welded themselves to each other. It could easily cost over $4000 if you have a dealer fix it. And - some of the early parts are not available and require and upgrade that can add on a lot more money.

If it were mine - I'd shop around for a used, but not trashed reverser if priced reasonable. Then, pull it part, fix as needed, and use it - instead of fixing the one in it.

If you are going to pay someone else to fix it - check around and find someone that has experience. Many Deere dealerships do not - and with just screw up the job and cost you a lot of extra money. Bearing endplay is critical in these reversers and is often done wrong which leads to a quick failure after a so-called rebuild.

I'm not saying you need all the following parts - but if you do - and you might - just check the prices. Engine clutch disk, reverser input shaft-drum, reverser outut shaft, output shaft oil-delivery orifice, splined coupler, reverser oil pump gear-set, seals, gaskets and bearings, clutch disks and steels, pistons, collectors/drums, rings, and oil-manifold, etc.

I've had to fix many reversers - that once locked up - needed all of the above, and more.

mini kahuna
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

reversing a reverser

Post by mini kahuna » Fri May 16, 2008 9:34 am

jdemaris is right,a reverser that is run until it locks up is most likely destroyed to the point you are better off finding a used reverser and rebuilding that and putting it in.
it is also true that most dealerships are hit or miss on rebuilding these old things,you would be better off doing it yourself and having the guys on here walk you thru any questions.
alot of reveresers die/died a horrible death using them backwards like you did.

andyjd350
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by andyjd350 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks guys I thought it was gonna be something serious, I bought the machine cheap at 3000 euro (when euro=dollar) inc backhoe to do a project and it's paid for itself easily, I had a couple of weeks work left that's all before the next project.

I posted on a forum when the forward direction went and no-one said it was bad to run in reverse but I knew it wouldn't do it any favours
but hoped it would last - which it has more or less ....

So now I have to decide whether to pay someone to do the work on the land, fix "Doris" or get another machine, maybe a wheeled loader.

Doris needs the steering clutches doing too so if I tackle it its going
to be a full on restoration project.

Another option is as the euro is high against the dollar it might be practical to buy a US 350 or 450 and ship it over to Spain - anyone have any experience of shipping to Europe and probable costs involved ?

Finally a neighbour has a Massey Ferguson 300 crawler loader which has been parked for 8 years but from what I can see they are rare and hard to get bits for and a much heavier and more powerful machine. Any info gladly received.

thanks

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Fri May 16, 2008 12:20 pm

andyjd350 wrote:Thanks guys I thought it was gonna be something serious, I bought the machine cheap at 3000 euro (when euro=dollar) inc backhoe to do a project and it's paid for itself easily, I had a couple of weeks

Finally a neighbour has a Massey Ferguson 300 crawler loader which has been parked for 8 years but from what I can see they are rare and hard to get bits for and a much heavier and more powerful machine. Any info gladly received.
In regard to the Euro-thing - yeah you got a good deal. I was going to buy a big Euro-based CD a few months ago - but chickened out. (I'm in the US). I'd get charged a 1% exchange fee going in, and another 1% coming out - and that scared me off. But - at the moment - I'd be doing good. Six months from now -who knows?

In regard to the MF crawlers - at least here in the northeastern US - they tend to get used up and then scrapped. Not sure why - but I suspect it's the lack of affordable parts - new, used, and/or aftermarket. Last Deere dealership I worked at - we took in several in trade and didn't even bother with fixing them up and reselling. All got auctioned.

That being said - I'm looking at a MF crawler-loader right now - with a Drott bucket. If I can get it for under $3000 - I'm going to grab it since it's near some remote property I own. At the least, it's got a good Perkins engine.

andyjd350
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by andyjd350 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:56 am

Well after being in mourning for Doris I cranked her up the other day and left her to warm up, hey presto the reverser unlocked and she ran fine !

So here's the deal, when cold, forward and reverse work fine, no clutch dragging.

As she warms up forward drive slips but reverse is fine. some clutch drag ie if in
reverse she'll try and inch forward, but with little force.

Even warmer will only run in reverse, no clutch drag.

Then sometimes, usually on an incline or inconvenient moment, the reverser locks totally in the forward direction, pushing the clutch does nothing.

Switching off and putting the gearbox into neutral allows me to start the engine and if left to run for a bit and judicious twiddling of the forward / reverse lever unlocks it.

Now I know this is totally mechanically unsympathetic but has saved me a week of hiring out a machine or buying another. I don't have time or money for a strip down.

So if you're still talking to me what do you reckon it is ?
My guess is the mechanics are ok as she's fine cold.
I'm going to change the reverser oil and filter and see if that works any wonders.