cotter pin ?? on bottom of tranny (80' 450C) leaking fluid

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
quisman
40C crawler
40C crawler

cotter pin ?? on bottom of tranny (80' 450C) leaking fluid

Post by quisman » Sun May 18, 2008 7:32 pm

I didn't see anything about this in my manuals and figured someone could shed some light on it. I am losing a ton of hyguard from this hole, it's about 1/8" diameter w/ what looks to be a cotter pin poking out. No idea what's it purpose is, except to leak my expensive hyguard everywhere :?
Every more odd to me, is the drain plug yielded what i'm guessing to be a combo of water and oil, unless there is a white type of oil i'm not aware of.....it was confusing because there was no seperation at all like I would've expected.
The cotter pin seems to leak nice new hygaurd where as the drain was all white fluid all the way to the last drop.
Hopefully this isn't as much gloom and doom as i'm afraid it may be.
Thanks in advance.

Digger
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Digger » Sun May 18, 2008 7:47 pm

Looks like the drain hole in the bottom of my clutch housing,(450B) it has a cotter pin in it like that. If you have hygard leaking out of it, you may have a problem with your transmission pump leaking. Digger

RANDY Fay
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RANDY Fay » Mon May 19, 2008 5:52 am

The cotter pins are put in these drain holes to keep them from getting clogged up with grease and mud--the long ends on the cotter pin help keep drain hole open--I think the seal in pump cover is where the oil is leaking from have fun Randy