TRANSMISSION/STEERING CLUTCH FLUID CHANGE

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
450c
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 450c » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:10 pm

Hi my name is Mike and I am the proud owner of my first 450c crawler loader. I want to change the trans fluid and filter in her as it has probably been some time since it was last done. Is the fluid in the steering clutches common to the trans sump? or are they seperate. Also is there anything special I should be aware of when doing this change.

Hartlyboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Hartlyboy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:37 pm

Mike, I'm a recent new owner of a 450C also and went through the same thing I think you are about to do. Some of the posts on my experiences might be of some use to you because I got a lot of advice from the old hands on the site.

I found it was a very good idea to drain all the fluids unless you know the owner before you was a stickler for maintenance. I got more water and gunk out of my machine than I'd like to admit and used many gallons of new Hy-Gard or similar fluid to replace it.

Pulling the plugs on the final drives and steering clutches is a must as I saw it and draining the tranny , especially if it is 'brown soup' is needed because you'll just eventually contaminate the clutches again if you don't start fresh there. Change the filter by the radiator, the engine filter and oil and drain and refill the radiator with fresh antifreeze. I didn't drain the hyralic system because that looked pretty clean.

The transmission filter you spoke of is under the tractor on the right side behind a plate held on with three bolts. It's just a screen to keep logs and dead animals out of the system and you can generally clean that up with some fuel . Will need a new gasket to put it back on.

Whew, I got carried away. sorry. It's worth it , though , when you are done and the machine is running well and you know it has clean stuff working through the pumps and bearings. I've had mine out a couple times pushing dirt around and making a trail through one of my woods. Just dang love it.

Oh, if you don't have the Operator Manual or the Service manual , I suggest you get them. Lots of "aha' info in them. Get the printed versus CD copy in my opinion.

pdmech08

Post by pdmech08 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:32 am

Hartlyboy has already given the best advice, if you don't already have them, "Buy the manuals"! In answer to your trans./steering oil question, Yes the steering oil is common to the transmission sump. However, they must be drained independent of each other and there are 2 drain plugs per steering clutch housing. One is in the bottom flat portion of the housing which will drain the majority of the oil off. The other is lower and further forward on the angled portion of the housing. This will drain the balance of the oil. Although draining from the lower hole will also get the majority of the oil out, there is a slight "hump" inside the housing that will retain some oil which can be drained from the other plug. I may have made that sound more complicated than it really is but you get the idea. When refilling, fill till full on dipstick, then start tractor and continue filling until full again with tractor running. Run tractor back and forth and operate steering levers and recheck. The steering compartments will fill themselves once the tractor is running.

450c
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 450c » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:02 am

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the owners manual. Lots of good stuff in it but I am still a little confused. The owners manual states a seperate amount of fluid should be added to the steering clutches through the fill hole above the track. If I fill it through this hole will it give me any problems. The capacities page calls for 7 US gallons per side with the transmission getting a seperate 8 US gallons. Any clarification would sure help.
Thanks
Mike

pdmech08

Post by pdmech08 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:08 am

That is correct and It won't hurt to fill them at that location. Steve.