350 crawler fuel issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
angryacres
MC crawler
MC crawler

350 crawler fuel issue

Post by angryacres » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:34 pm

I had a problem recently with my 350, motor stalled and wouldn't start. i changed the fuel filters an all was well. Now the problem has happened again it will run for several seconds then stall. My theory is there is somthing foul in the fuel or the lines behind the filter.

mailtrain
430 crawler
430 crawler

350 fuel issue

Post by mailtrain » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:48 pm

I assume this is a diesel, did you purge all the air from the system after replacing filters? There could be something in the tank that is blocking the fuel from getting through or a cracked line that is sucking air.There could be a problem with injection pump. You will get a response from the others on here that are more familar with the 350's more so than I am.

mailtrain

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:38 pm

there are two littlr line strainers one in the tank before the fuel line .The other leading into the injector pump at the end of the fuel line check and clean them starting at tank then injector pump .Digitup.

jdemaris

Re: 350 crawler fuel issue

Post by jdemaris » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:09 pm

angryacres wrote:I had a problem recently with my 350, motor stalled and wouldn't start. i changed the fuel filters an all was well. Now the problem has happened again it will run for several seconds then stall. My theory is there is somthing foul in the fuel or the lines behind the filter.
First, you have to ascertain is fuel is getting TO the injection pump when it's quitting on you.

If you eliminated block fuel petcocks, air leaks, fitlers, fuel pump etc., and you are sure fuel is getting to the injection pump, then it's likely you've got a failed governor retainer ring inside the pump.

When the plastic ring falls apart, little pieces run through the pump and block the fuel outlet/pressure regulator - on top of the pump. It will peter out and quit. And, then, one it sits for a few minutes will start right up again, run fine for a little while, then lose power and quit again.

This only applies to the rectangular JDB or DB pumps found on most 350s. A few though have the little round CB pump - and that does NOT have the plastic ring.

angryacres
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by angryacres » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:59 pm

i finally got a chance to look at my 350 again. There was no fuel coming out of the tank when i pulled the fuel line. After clearing sediment from the tank it fired right up. thanks again for the help!
tom